Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dreaded Death Wobble for Newbie

Old 12-10-2009, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dreaded Death Wobble for Newbie

I have had my jeep for 3 months. It already had a lift kit on it when i bought it. 6" skyjacker. I am posting some pics for you guys to look at and maybe some information you can provide to help me with the death wobble. I have seen several posts on how to attack the DW, tighten this and that, etc. But i have no clue what some of these parts are and what where they are located. Could you guys comment on my pics and pinpoint out what parts are what? I would greatly appreciate it. Some of the pics maybe of the same thing just different angle.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

if that doesnt work i could try alittle toe out
Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you. That is exaclty what i am looking for.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepnick
if that doesnt work i could try alittle toe out
Ok how do you do that?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

My Jeep was experiencing Death Wobble as recent as a month ago. In my case it appears that the 37" tires I have were unbalanced. It took upwards of five attempts at two different tire shops to get them to were they are now. Dynamically balancing the tires was the key.

Nevertheless, this may not be what is causing your Jeep's DW. I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the front end's suspension. This link has a picture of the front end suspension and tags the parts. http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

During my Jeep's bout with DW, I systematically checked all of the front end suspension parts and bolts for wear and improper torque. I ultimately replaced some of the suspension parts before settling on unbalanced tires as the culprit.

Also, doing a search on death wobble on this forum, as well as Google will also provide insight into the possible causes.

It took a couple of months before I realized the culprit, so stay the course, you will get there.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepyJeep
My Jeep was experiencing Death Wobble as recent as a month ago. In my case it appears that the 37" tires I have were unbalanced. It took upwards of five attempts at two different tire shops to get them to were they are now. Dynamically balancing the tires was the key.

Nevertheless, this may not be what is causing your Jeep's DW. I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the front end's suspension. This link has a picture of the front end suspension and tags the parts. http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

During my Jeep's bout with DW, I systematically checked all of the front end suspension parts and bolts for wear and improper torque. I ultimately replaced some of the suspension parts before settling on unbalanced tires as the culprit.

Also, doing a search on death wobble on this forum, as well as Google will also provide insight into the possible causes.

It took a couple of months before I realized the culprit, so stay the course, you will get there.

I was wondering if that could cause it too. I may take it in and see if i can get someone to balance them. Thank you.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Let me ask this. I checked all kinds of bolts last night and the only ones that i found that werent real as tight as could was the sway bar link bolts. All of them were like this. So that makes me think that they were supposed to be like this. Any ideas?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

i sent you a pm
Old 12-10-2009, 05:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the track bar relocation bracket you have is a terrible design as it is not reinforced. because of it, it will act as a lever and cause your factory mount on the axle to fatigue, flex and then eventually tear off. of course, until it does, you will be fighting dw. i have seen this many times before and would recommend that you install an alternate means to relocate your track bar such as a drop bracket from the frame or a different axle mounted bracket that is reinforced or welded on.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

i had the dreaded death wobble, but after help from this forum i decided to check my alignment, i had it done at a shop and they had set it at about 3/8" in meaning that the tires were facing each other at the front, i believe that about a 1/4" in is the factory spec, but not for my 34" super swampers, so i went home and set the toe out 3/8" and it made a big difference, it was running much better and almost no wobble, then i installed the rough country dual stabilizer kit and thats it, its super smooth, i really really recommend the rough country dual set up, it has worked wonders on my jeep, my steering feels so stiff and smooth.....just my 2 cents...

Quick Reply: Dreaded Death Wobble for Newbie