Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft limiting flex

Old 10-17-2016, 11:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

They are different and the op has the large diameter factory driveshaft that further creates issues at droop
Old 10-17-2016, 11:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Any plans to throw up a oil/tranny skid soon? If so, you'll be yanking that small crossmember you speak of off. I don't recall hitting that in my previous versions, but I did hit the exhaust. I spotted an AFE y-pipe locally on CL back in the day and slapped that on....fixed my issue as it re-routed the exhaust behind the cross member. Seems like you'd be able to pick up an inch or so just going with an aftermarket drive shaft which you're gonna need eventually anyhow....not to mention that if you replace it now rather than once it's blown....you might recoupe a small bit of funds by selling the old one.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Biginboca
My driveshaft will get into the exhaust but would never touch the crossmember behind it even with probably 18" of droop.
Believe OP is talking about the small bar that is on the autos that is in place to protect the tranny.....not the actual cross member. It's a pretty weak excuse for protection, but better than nothing. I just removed mine when installing the Rock Hard skids.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Any plans to throw up a oil/tranny skid soon? If so, you'll be yanking that small crossmember you speak of off. I don't recall hitting that in my previous versions, but I did hit the exhaust. I spotted an AFE y-pipe locally on CL back in the day and slapped that on....fixed my issue as it re-routed the exhaust behind the cross member. Seems like you'd be able to pick up an inch or so just going with an aftermarket drive shaft which you're gonna need eventually anyhow....not to mention that if you replace it now rather than once it's blown....you might recoupe a small bit of funds by selling the old one.
I agree with this, OP just get a new front driveshaft. You'll need one sooner or later anyway and for now it'll give you the clearance you need.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to the junk yard and pull a couple xj double cardans and then cut them down to the length you need. That way when they **** up on the trail you won't flip out over ****ing up a $400 shaft
Old 10-18-2016, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Believe OP is talking about the small bar that is on the autos that is in place to protect the tranny.....not the actual cross member. It's a pretty weak excuse for protection, but better than nothing. I just removed mine when installing the Rock Hard skids.
yeah I've seen it referred to as a tranny crossmember when being sold as an aftermarket part. "HD crossmember" etc. I'll snap a pic later to clarify. Won't be drooped out though I was noticing that when it was on jack stands the other day and I was cycling the suspension
Old 10-18-2016, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have no plans for skids anytime soon. Trying to get long arms and one tons and beadlocks down first
Old 10-24-2016, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
I have no plans for skids anytime soon. Trying to get long arms and one tons and beadlocks down first
Skids last...seems a bit backwards...you will regret that move if you wheel at all. Trust me. Skids are cheap insurance.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pthorpe84
Skids last...seems a bit backwards...you will regret that move if you wheel at all. Trust me. Skids are cheap insurance.
Oh I wheel. Trust me. There's nothing under there that is going to get hurt much by sliding over some rocks. I'm not scared of scrapes on the undercarriage. Getting hung up occasionally is the worst of my issues that a skid would prevent. I'm not going to buy skids that I would have to modify possibly in order to fit what I plan on installing in the near future. I will put skids on afterwards and make the changes I might need to make. I also want to keep weight down until I do an LS swap or a RIPP
Old 10-25-2016, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
Oh I wheel. Trust me. There's nothing under there that is going to get hurt much by sliding over some rocks. I'm not scared of scrapes on the undercarriage. Getting hung up occasionally is the worst of my issues that a skid would prevent. I'm not going to buy skids that I would have to modify possibly in order to fit what I plan on installing in the near future. I will put skids on afterwards and make the changes I might need to make. I also want to keep weight down until I do an LS swap or a RIPP
Are you at least going to put on an oil pan skid. Honestly that is the biggest area of vulnerability. And the transmission is a close second. All else is pretty well covered. I get waiting on the rest due to long arm options and frame modifications.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft limiting flex