Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driveshaft thoughts

Old 11-09-2021, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driveshaft thoughts

So i pulled the trigger on the "GameChanger 3.5"" metalcloak lift last night. I think it'll suffice for the off-road and on road driving I'll be doing. I know that I'll need to upgrade the front driveshaft and I need to measure that and order that from tom woods once I get the lift installed but how important is it to replace the rear as well? On my old TJ I could get by with the rear I had but replaced the front first because I had some rubbing issues. Thanks for any help!
Old 11-09-2021, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My back lasted a lot longer on a Metalcloak 3.5 to 5 lift. You have chosen extremely well for a lift. I have a ton of weight on my Jeep and swear I still get 4"+ and that's after years of hard use. I would go ahead and get their brake lines at the same time. Mechanics mention that they have never seen a Jeep wheel go so far down when lifted in the garage!

Tom Woods is another stellar choice. I have their driveshafts. I replaced the front after going to 37s and then a couple of years later had to do the rear. Honestly, I would wait on the rear. You will definitely hear it when it starts to fail.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schlieko
My back lasted a lot longer on a Metalcloak 3.5 to 5 lift. You have chosen extremely well for a lift. I have a ton of weight on my Jeep and swear I still get 4"+ and that's after years of hard use. I would go ahead and get their brake lines at the same time. Mechanics mention that they have never seen a Jeep wheel go so far down when lifted in the garage!

Tom Woods is another stellar choice. I have their driveshafts. I replaced the front after going to 37s and then a couple of years later had to do the rear. Honestly, I would wait on the rear. You will definitely hear it when it starts to fail.
Thanks for the input. I am new to the Metalcloak lifts but not their fenders and armor. If their lifts are anything like the quality of the armor it's going to be great! Their gamechanger lift comes with the brake lines you mentioned unless there are other ones that i don't know about. That begs another question, how hard are the brakes to bleed after replacing the lines with the ones metalcloak supplies?
Old 11-09-2021, 09:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by Schlieko
My back lasted a lot longer on a Metalcloak 3.5 to 5 lift.......

Honestly, I would wait on the rear. You will definitely hear it when it starts to fail.
Keep in mind OP is working with a shorter wheelbase and will have a steeper angle on that rear than us 4dr guys. At the very least have to know that rear is gonna need it at some point and budget accordingly.

Originally Posted by clg82
That begs another question, how hard are the brakes to bleed after replacing the lines with the ones metalcloak supplies?
No different than any other bleed job. When done replacing all of em start the bleeding at passenger rear, then to driver rear, then to passenger front and finally driver front. I've always just used the "helper" method while someone presses the peddle as I cycle the bleed valve. I've got a small mitty vac but honestly just think pressing the peddle has always been easier for me.

I replaced my factory brake lines with SS Crown model years back and recently replaced the front Crowns with the MC lines. The MC lines seem much nicer compared to what I had before.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft thoughts