Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivetrain question, looking for helpful answers

Old 10-12-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain question, looking for helpful answers

OK, so I have wheeled some pretty decent trails around and am overall satisfied with my X's capabilities, however I am curious as to just how much money I will need to drop to beef everything up. Here is what is on my list (thus far) If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free, as this at the moment is technically a "wish list"

Gussets and sleeves for the front d30
Diff covers
4.88 gears and install
Driveshafts and install
Lockers, thinking ARB, maybe just a rear locker (are there other good alternatives?

And could someone explain what the real difference is between the 27 spline shaft in the d30 and a 30 spline? What is the big benefit? Strength? and is it worth the money?

Most of the wheeling I do is trails, without any real rocks. In the next few years, my hope is to run Moab and get more involved on the rocks...

Maybe it could be rephrased this way...What would you do to build a very capable X drivetrain running 35s (maybe 37s eventually) on a 4" lift? Disregard suspension, tires, and body upgrades. And I drive very conservatively, carefully (most of the time)

And, of course, the moral of the story...how much would I be looking at spending?
Hopefully this post can help others in my same situation.
Thanks to all who can shed some light on this.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain question, looking for helpful answers