Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Duratrac vs KM2

Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Duratrac vs KM2

i can't decide help!!! 285/70R17 Duratrac or KM2 (33ish...)??? I moderately wheel the trails and snow drifts...there is ice/packed snow around here in the winter so this will also be a deciding factor. Also need a good tire for camping trips, something that will handle the roads well & long trips (lots of miles)...help me!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:35 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent
i can't decide help!!! 285/70R17 Duratrac or KM2 (33ish...)??? I moderately wheel the trails and snow drifts...there is ice/packed snow around here in the winter so this will also be a deciding factor. Also need a good tire for camping trips, something that will handle the roads well & long trips (lots of miles)...help me!!!
I can't comment on the km2 but I switched from the duelers to duratracs last November and I won't bother ever trying and other tire on the market. They've performed beyond my expectations on any road surface, they look amazing and after a year of use they barely show any tread wear. You won't be disappointed.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MFX
I can't comment on the km2 but I switched from the duelers to duratracs last November and I won't bother ever trying and other tire on the market. They've performed beyond my expectations on any road surface, they look amazing and after a year of use they barely show any tread wear. You won't be disappointed.
that helps a lot man, thx!!! i really like the look of the duratracs! you have any pics???
Old 10-27-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Jedi

you are comparing an A/T to a M/T... Mileage on a M/T will always be less than an A/T. The BFG A/T KO is a great all terrain also that is often overlooked anymore (It has been around a while) but the mileage you can get from them is amazing and they are great on the trail for an A/T. I think both the goodyear and the K2 are great tires and both great tire makers, and I doubt either will disappoint. I would get the duratrac or another A/T if you are more often in snow/ice than mud. Mud tires like the KM2 usually do not perform as well as a/t's in winter conditions IMO.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 10-27-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vincent
I went though the very same dilemma. I decided to go with the Duratracs and I’m sooooo happy I did. My jeep is mainly a daily driver with accessional of f-roading. They are such a nice quiet ride even on the highway, and do awesome off-road as well. They look way better in person also.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Duratracs are not a serious off road tire but will be fine with mild trails. If u r going to be doing hard trails I would go with KM2s. Another possibility is Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar, they r great for daily driving and are awsome off road. they are supposed to be better on hard packed snow than KM2s but I have yet to runthem in the winter.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

my .02, I have KM2s and love them! I had KMs on previous rigs and they performed well..the new design of the Mud Terrains are a serious upgrade..better on road behavior and less noise.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
you are comparing an A/T to a M/T... Mileage on a M/T will always be less than an A/T. The BFG A/T KO is a great all terrain also that is often overlooked anymore (It has been around a while) but the mileage you can get from them is amazing and they are great on the trail for an A/T. I think both the goodyear and the K2 are great tires and both great tire makers, and I doubt either will disappoint. I would get the duratrac or another A/T if you are more often in snow/ice than mud. Mud tires like the KM2 usually do not perform as well as a/t's in winter conditions IMO.
i have had (3) sets of the A/T KO's and loved them except in the mud and packed snow, they left me wanting more so i'm really wanting to go with something a little bit more aggressive with better all out performance in all types of terrain.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm on my 4th set of KM2s and love them. 40k miles out of a mud tire is pretty good imo. The thing that concerns me about the duratrac is they are only a 2 ply sidewall. I personally don't feel comfortable around the rocks in less than a 3 ply. The KM2s work great down here in AZ, but I'm from CO and if I wanted an aggressive tire and had to concider serious winter driving conditions...I would look at the Cooper Discoverer STT. I have friends back home that swear by them for their any terrain including snow/ice
Old 10-27-2010, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't owned the KM21's. I own a set of Duratracs...but haven't even had the chance to mount 'em yet. I can offer some advice based on talking to people that I wheel with that own both though...

The KM2's will do a little bit better on rocks and in mud.

The Duratracs will probably offer better on-road performance and will perform a LOT better in snow and ice (extra siping). I've actually purchased a set of 35X12.5 duratracs (studded) to run as my dedicated winter tire for both road and wheeling use.

Just decide what's important to you, and then pick the tire that best suits those priorities.

Quick Reply: Duratrac vs KM2