Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DuraTrac's and Load Range? Should I Consider Another Tire?

Old 04-04-2017, 04:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DuraTrac's and Load Range? Should I Consider Another Tire?

So I've pretty much decided to go with the AEV 2.5" DualSportXT lift with either theirs or the Rancho geometry brackets. For the kind of driving I do (95% highway/5% trail riding) I think that's going to give me the best overall ride and the added break over clearance when I'm going to need it.

I'm now trying to figure out what tires to pair with that. In the past I've run Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs and had been very pleased with them. I was running 315/70R17's which were load range D with a 2.5" TeraFlex coil lift. The ride wasn't bad, but it was stiffer than factory for sure. Here's where I get confused.

How much stiffer is load range E than D and C?

I ask because the tire sizes I'm looking at for the DuraTracs come in D or E.

275/70R18 Load Range E
315/75R16 Load Range E
315/75R17 Load Range D

I'm leaning more towards the 275/70R18's as I'm running 3.73 gears on an auto with the 3.6L Pentastar and don't really have the budget to regear. I'm still kicking myself I didn't go with the 4.10's again on this one but at the time I felt like with the newer engine there was enough power there.

Will the E's be to stiff? Should I consider another tire?
Old 04-04-2017, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippman
So I've pretty much decided to go with the AEV 2.5" DualSportXT lift with either theirs or the Rancho geometry brackets. For the kind of driving I do (95% highway/5% trail riding) I think that's going to give me the best overall ride and the added break over clearance when I'm going to need it.

I'm now trying to figure out what tires to pair with that. In the past I've run Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs and had been very pleased with them. I was running 315/70R17's which were load range D with a 2.5" TeraFlex coil lift. The ride wasn't bad, but it was stiffer than factory for sure. Here's where I get confused.

How much stiffer is load range E than D and C?

I ask because the tire sizes I'm looking at for the DuraTracs come in D or E.

275/70R18 Load Range E
315/75R16 Load Range E
315/75R17 Load Range D

I'm leaning more towards the 275/70R18's as I'm running 3.73 gears on an auto with the 3.6L Pentastar and don't really have the budget to regear. I'm still kicking myself I didn't go with the 4.10's again on this one but at the time I felt like with the newer engine there was enough power there.

Will the E's be to stiff? Should I consider another tire?
Personally I think the "E' rated tires are too stiff. You can run the air down to 26PSI as a trade off. I run the DT's in 35" D rated and they have been very good. With 20K on them they are pretty loud now.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If you are not rock crawling or doing steep climbs where the tires need to do the work wrapping around stuff for traction the E rated tires will work for your everyday use. To maximize ride quality you will want to do the chalk test to set the air pressure to a more comfortable ride. Since you are on the road 99% of the time you will have better handling at speed with a stiffer tire. You are also running a relatively small tire on a big rim which is not ideal for off road where more sidewall is your friend.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you are not rock crawling or doing steep climbs where the tires need to do the work wrapping around stuff for traction the E rated tires will work for your everyday use. To maximize ride quality you will want to do the chalk test to set the air pressure to a more comfortable ride. Since you are on the road 99% of the time you will have better handling at speed with a stiffer tire. You are also running a relatively small tire on a big rim which is not ideal for off road where more sidewall is your friend.
I'd run 315/75R16's if I thought it wouldn't dog the power train to much. The 315/70R17 are almost $60 per tire more expensive than the 315/75R16 or 275/70R18's. That's $300 of difference on a full set (5) of tires. Not to mention the wheels will be cheaper ($100 for 16's vs $122 for 18's).

Of the sizes I've listed the 275/70R18's seem to be the best fit. They're 33's which will give me the more aggressive look I'm wanting while still being kind to my gear ratio. Am I right in assuming that?
Old 04-04-2017, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

When you decide to upgrade to 35's then 37's and on and on, 17's will give you more selection in tire size. Just something to consider going forward. Pay once, cry once.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The BFG KO2 comes in a 315/70r17 that is load range C2.

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

I'm curious how much different, if anyone knows, the "performance" of this tire would be on and off road as compared to a Duratrac (what I am currently sporting) in a load range D.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Personally I would just leave it stock, your are looking for someone to justify what you are doing to make you feel better about your purchase. You are building for looks, not performance (nothing wrong with building for looks its your jeep and your money). 18" wheel are a poor choice for a jeep, smaller sidewall, fewer choices in tires, more expensive, typically a heavier tire geared for bigger trucks. A 33" tire gives you little performance off road vs the factory 32's and a 2.5" lift is not needed for 33's and just adds to the cost of the vehicle. Both of these are money just thrown away for looks. 35's C rated tires on 16" wheels with flat fenders, gears, and lockers will give you way more off road performance while giving you a more stable ride on the highway and a very good aggressive look. I don't know if you have a rubicon, from you post you hint at it with the 4.10 comment but if you already have the lockers the 35" set up and gears is likely around the same money as the 2.5" lift, 18" wheels and tires.

With 35's, gears, and lockers you will do most any trail out there that is not a 4' straight up climb or big boulder climbing. If you need to go long travel in the future you are already set up and can lift for some extra belly clearance and longer travel shocks and coils.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Personally I would just leave it stock, your are looking for someone to justify what you are doing to make you feel better about your purchase. You are building for looks, not performance (nothing wrong with building for looks its your jeep and your money). 18" wheel are a poor choice for a jeep, smaller sidewall, fewer choices in tires, more expensive, typically a heavier tire geared for bigger trucks. A 33" tire gives you little performance off road vs the factory 32's and a 2.5" lift is not needed for 33's and just adds to the cost of the vehicle. Both of these are money just thrown away for looks. 35's C rated tires on 16" wheels with flat fenders, gears, and lockers will give you way more off road performance while giving you a more stable ride on the highway and a very good aggressive look. I don't know if you have a rubicon, from you post you hint at it with the 4.10 comment but if you already have the lockers the 35" set up and gears is likely around the same money as the 2.5" lift, 18" wheels and tires.

With 35's, gears, and lockers you will do most any trail out there that is not a 4' straight up climb or big boulder climbing. If you need to go long travel in the future you are already set up and can lift for some extra belly clearance and longer travel shocks and coils.
You made some salient points. It sounds like you'd recommend the 315/70R17's, a set of gears, and maybe some Hurricane Fenders. I am currently in a Rubicon. So your opinion, which in reading your numerous posts I value, is to swap my 3.73's for something like a 4.88 or a 5.13?
Old 04-04-2017, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ShutterBug

I'm curious how much different, if anyone knows, the "performance" of this tire would be on and off road as compared to a Duratrac (what I am currently sporting) in a load range D.
Buy some and do a side by side test. Otherwise you can just look at the overall ratting between the two tires. On the road things like towing capability and cornering should be better on a D rated tire although you will never tow enough with a JK to justify a D rated tire. Off road a C tire is going to do better just because it will mold itself around stuff better then a D rated tire. Things like mud traction will have more to do with the tread design as well as on the pavement wet traction.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug

If youre going to be doing a lot of street driving the Duratracs will offer better wet traction in snow/ice/rain. They have way more siping that the BFGs. I have the KM2s in 285/75/17 and in deep unpacked snow they are great. packed snow or highway speeds in really wet conditions they fall short. No siping. Off road both are really great but Id say the BFGs would fair better in really sticky slick mud as they can clean better with the bigger gaps between the lugs. Overall driving, Id go with the Duratracs. I would have bought them but got a great deal on the BFGs I have now.

Last edited by MontyJK08; 04-04-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: DuraTrac's and Load Range? Should I Consider Another Tire?