Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DuraTrac's and Load Range? Should I Consider Another Tire?

Old 04-04-2017, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You would be better off with the bigger tires and gear, as far as the gears go 4.56 seems to be the sweet spot for the 3.6 but if you think you could go bigger tires or don't drive not he highway much then 4.88 would be the gear would be fine.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MontyJK08
If youre going to be doing a lot of street driving the Duratracs will offer better wet traction in snow/ice/rain. They have way more siping that the BFGs. I have the KM2s in 285/75/17 and in deep unpacked snow they are great. packed snow or highway speeds in really wet conditions they fall short. No siping. Off road both are really great but Id say the BFGs would fair better in really sticky slick mud as they can clean better with the bigger gaps between the lugs. Overall driving, Id go with the Duratracs. I would have bought them but got a great deal on the BFGs I have now.
I love my Duratracs. But two of them need replacing. There's a deal to be had on some KO2s in Western PA for $175 each, mounted and balanced. That's less than $900 for 5 new tires.

I really don't want to buy new tires right now, I'd rather replace the two wearing tires (the other 2 are newer - they HAD to be replaced) with some take offs with 10K or less miles. That will buy me enough time to get to where I can afford to go to 37" tires - the new Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 37/r17 are load range D.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking at the Auto Chart I see what you mean about the 4.56's. I had my head in the old 3.8L mindset where everyone was going to 4.88's. I'm will not be going to 37" tires for a variety of reasons. I'd rather spend the money that would cost on other mods to the Jeep.

So just to make sure I have my shopping list right I've got two options.

Option 1
4.56 gears for Dana 44 differentials front and rear.
AEV 2.5" DualSportXT Suspension Lift.
AEV or Rancho geometry correction brackets.
315/75R16 or 315/75R17 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs
16" or 17" Wheels.

Option 2
4.56 gears for Dana 44 differentials front and rear.
Rugged Ridge Hurricane flat fenders.
315/75R16 or 315/75R17 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs
16" or 17" Wheels.

Misc Parts
SuperChips FlashPaq or other programmer.
New differential covers/skid plates (while I'm at it)

Am I missing anything?

I have a FlashPaq for the old 3.8L engine that I can turn in for a discount on the 3.6L unit.

Last edited by Skippman; 04-04-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll just toss this out there for you to think about before deciding. With the 16 inch rims it will be tough to impossible to go with a big brake kit or to move up to HD steering parts. I went the 16 inch route and sometimes wish I would have stayed with the 17 inch rim. I'll be switching back to 17 when I upgrade my front axle next year or so. Also think about cutting your fenders first that will save 4-500 bucks.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the dirtman option. Flat fenders and gears and 35s. The gears will be the best thing you do to it. You can trim your fenders and save for fenders later if needed. Metalcloak and gen right have some nice fenders.
I run 4.88 on 35s auto 3.6. I am perfectly happy with it. Took a 3500 mile trip to CO last summer and it performed great in the mountains. 16mpg. I'm pretty sure most guys here in the Midwest would be satisfied with 4.56 unless you pull a trailer.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah, and I have Jeep's and 3/4 ton trucks with both bfg at ko2 and duratracs.
1 jeep w duratracs, 2 w ko2's and 1 truck w ko2's and 2 trucks w duratracs.
I'd give the snow traction to the duratracs. Better highway ride, more even wear and less noise to the bfg. Haven't done much mud w bfg, but I'd think the duratracs would be better as they are slightly more open. The bfgs have less chunking from rocks. Both great tires.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

So I'm still kicking this around. Was on TireRack's site earlier today. They're showing 315/70R17 Load Range C KO2's for $210 a tire. That's a pretty compelling argument to get them. Any reason I shouldn't?
Old 04-26-2017, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you're sticking with 3.73s, I might consider a lighter load range tire. The lighter the better.

We just did an install on a Sahara with a 2.5" JSpec lift and 285/75R17 (33.8" tall and 11" wide) Nitto Trail Grapplers and that Jeep felt GREAT! You couldn't even tell the taller tires were there, I highly recommend this combo, it drives very well. We adjusted the customer's speedo with a FlashCal and sent him on his way.

I would also recommend 17s, mainly for the ease of locating replacement tires and available options. As far as function goes, the more sidewall the better on a 4x4, but 17s are pretty much the standard now, 15s and 16s are going the way of the dinosaurs.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps
Since you're sticking with 3.73s, I might consider a lighter load range tire. The lighter the better.

We just did an install on a Sahara with a 2.5" JSpec lift and 285/75R17 (33.8" tall and 11" wide) Nitto Trail Grapplers and that Jeep felt GREAT! You couldn't even tell the taller tires were there, I highly recommend this combo, it drives very well. We adjusted the customer's speedo with a FlashCal and sent him on his way.

I would also recommend 17s, mainly for the ease of locating replacement tires and available options. As far as function goes, the more sidewall the better on a 4x4, but 17s are pretty much the standard now, 15s and 16s are going the way of the dinosaurs.
Who said I was sticking with 3.73's?

I'm definitely regearing to 4.56's later this summer. Right now I'm going with Option 2 from my earlier post thanks to great input from TheDirtMan, Shutterbug, and others. Basically flat fenders, a TeraFlex leveling kit, 17" wheels properly backspaced, and 35" tires.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:13 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippman
Who said I was sticking with 3.73's?

I'm definitely regearing to 4.56's later this summer. Right now I'm going with Option 2 from my earlier post thanks to great input from TheDirtMan, Shutterbug, and others. Basically flat fenders, a TeraFlex leveling kit, 17" wheels properly backspaced, and 35" tires.
Oh I must have missed something in there! My apologies. I still recommend sticking with a lower load range for performance and ride quality, but with a 4.56 gear you'll be able to turn 35's like a champ.

Quick Reply: DuraTrac's and Load Range? Should I Consider Another Tire?