Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dust Shields on Drive Shaft Replacement Yokes

Old 04-27-2009, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dust Shields on Drive Shaft Replacement Yokes

Hey Everyone,

I thought it might be easier to start a new thread regading this specific question, rather than to tack it onto the pinion nut thread I already started.

I have searched other posts and have found several posts which discuss dust shields for the driveshaft yokes.

I am installing Tatton driveshafts and replacement yokes, although it appears that the problem with the dust shields also is experienced with Tom Woods and J.E. Reel products.

It seems that the concensus is that the dust shields (OEM) for the pinion yokes are too loose, and that the shields (OEM) at the transfer case are too small to fit over the shafts. Installing the loose shields at the pinion yokes seems like it is an invitation for rattling and ineffective sealing.

Are the aftermarket seals available, or is it common to just leave the dust shields off? (I believe I have read that some of the fabricators say that the shields aren't necessary. I don't know how much of that opinion is based upon real data, and how much is based upon knowing that the OEM dust shields won't work.)

Thanks for any input.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Dust Shields on Drive Shaft Replacement Yokes