Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dyno test on 35" tires w/wo Superchips

Old 01-13-2010, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its no speed demon but i'm happy with the way it drives down the highway. i know what you mean, i always want more too. if i had a vette or viper i'm sure i would say yah we burnt rubber in 1st 2nd and 3rd but not fourth ....................needs more HP
Old 01-13-2010, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
its no speed demon but i'm happy with the way it drives down the highway. i know what you mean, i always want more too. if i had a vette or viper i'm sure i would say yah we burnt rubber in 1st 2nd and 3rd but not fourth ....................needs more HP
LOL, I burn rubber in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but not fourth on up with my V6 and accidently reved it to 7k before the kill switch kicked it off/on. I don't know how high the superchips will allow you to go, but I'd sure like to see where the valve float starts.

Yes, I'd like mo power, but then I remind myself why I bought the Jeep.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you get a baseline # before you did any tuning to show what rwhp was bone stock?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Haven't posted on this thread for some time now but here's an update.

Original speed shop out of the picture. They act like hobbiests not pro's. Ripp's supercharger now installed and working great (for the initial install). I've only driven the JK about 20-30 miles with the SC because I have been installing a new front bumper (MBRP). The install is just about done (working now but should be done in an hour as winch lights etc. now on the bumper). Gonna need a crane to lift it is the only problem!

After the 500 mile break in period Ripp recommends, I am taking the JK to a real speed shop in St. Louis. Very knowledgeable folks who tune all makes etc. but specialize in high end imports. They have two dyno's one of which is a chassis dyno which is what they use to "tune" vehicles because " we get a much more accurate picture from the chassis dyno." Think it will more than do the job but is REAL pricey (ya gets what ya pay for!).

Anyway back to work on the bumper.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate the update.

Can you post the new dyno numbers you get during the tuning after the break-in period?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Fathom
87 Octane Tune [later clarified, this is stock tune]
RWHP= 120
RW torque= 143

93 Octane Tune [later clarified, this is SC tune]
RWHP= 127
RW torque= 153
Originally Posted by rcwade
... 7whp for $250+ bucks is a bit hard to swallow! ....
That would be the cost of the tuner and premium gas.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by spinlock
Appreciate the update.

Can you post the new dyno numbers you get during the tuning after the break-in period?
Yup...Wanna see what the JK puts out with the RIPP SC...Also can you let us know how the JK drives between 1200-2000 RPM with the SC, do you get a lot of torque in that RPM band or does the SC work best at higher RPMs..Thanks...Personally for my driving style I rarely go over 55mph and really need a lot of TQ for my city driving....
Old 02-07-2010, 07:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aldaman
Yup...Wanna see what the JK puts out with the RIPP SC...Also can you let us know how the JK drives between 1200-2000 RPM with the SC, do you get a lot of torque in that RPM band or does the SC work best at higher RPMs..Thanks...Personally for my driving style I rarely go over 55mph and really need a lot of TQ for my city driving....
I've only put about 30 miles on my JK since the SC install. It needs some adjusting but Ripps says leave it as is for 500 miles so the ECM can learn the new setup.

The JK drives VERY different now. If you want HP you got it but it's not in the 1200-2000 rpm range. I have the 6 speed and it is still a dog at 60 mph in sixth. Down shift to 5th and hit the accelerator and BOOM there you go! It likes 2500 rpm and up.

Steve N at MBRP says you really have to relearn how you drive the Ripped JK and I believe him. I was driving it like a little old lady before the SC trying to get just a little mileage and that just doesn't work with the SC. I don't believe you have to keep your foot in it all the time but keeping the revs up makes it a whole new machine. To soon to make a judgement on mileage but I am hopeful in that the computer actually is showing an improvement!???? Go figure!

I am putting it back into daily service tomorrow so now the miles will rack up and we'll see how good it can get.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Fathom
The JK drives VERY different now. If you want HP you got it but it's not in the 1200-2000 rpm range. I have the 6 speed and it is still a dog at 60 mph in sixth. Down shift to 5th and hit the accelerator and BOOM there you go! It likes 2500 rpm and up.
Thanks for the info...Looks like the SC wont work for me...Might have to think about a HEMI swap instead...
Old 02-08-2010, 05:17 AM
JK Junkie

Looking this over a bit, and not sure how I missed it when it was first posted, but it appears that the dyno results were pulled in 6th, the OD gear.

Also, there is the Superchips 87 Octane tune and the 93 Octane Tune, no dyno results as it rolls off the dealer floor. There is a 5+% increase in torque and horsepower with the higher octane, which coincides with the mileage differences I have seen using the 87 or 93 Octane settings. That makes it a wash paying the extra 20¢ per gallon using the higher octane, likely placing the best value on 91 octane.

Lastly, when doing these kinds of tests and with the relearn process of the PCM it's important to take it out and run 15 or 20 highway miles between pulls. This will get you a lot closer to real world results, and quite simply you can't achieve all there is to be had by just switching tunes and making another dyno pull.

Quick Reply: Dyno test on 35" tires w/wo Superchips