Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me on WCM.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Educate me on WCM.

From what I have been reading, the WCM is a bad unit for the JKs from 08-11. I would like to delete mine and use an unchipped key. Can I do this? I do not have a power anything or remote locks or start. Do I really need the WCM?

Thanks,
John
Old 07-25-2018, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

From my understanding is the Wireless Control Module (WCM) is used with your factory power lock system and alarm. I am thinking that messing with or deleting it might render your wireless remote non-useable. Again I am just WAGing (Wild Ass Guessing) here.

R/
Will
Old 07-25-2018, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

We've all got the SKIM key but I've not had any issues with my '10 and the WCM.

To answer your question on deleting it, you can (if I recall correctly from the alarm system install) tape a factory key to the WCM inside the column and then any key that turns your ignition would start the jeep as it 'sees' the electronic portion of the key. With my install, the company put in all of the correct modules to fool the system into believing there is a key present if I were to utilize the remote start feature.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The WCMs were wonky for awhile. They could get spiked by static in the key blade and send the security system into lockdown mode. In that case the lights will work, but it can't start. If you open a door with the key t will trigger the alarm. Should this happen to you, the workaround on first gen, 3.8L JKs is to open the TIPM fuse panel cover, locate big white dual fuse holder J13 and pull it up until it stops. This cuts power to the alarm, etc. Press it back down and the system will reset and you can start the JK. The fix was a Service action with TSB. They replace the WCM and your key set. They later came out with another replacement key set.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SoK66
The WCMs were wonky for awhile. They could get spiked by static in the key blade and send the security system into lockdown mode. In that case the lights will work, but it can't start. If you open a door with the key t will trigger the alarm. Should this happen to you, the workaround on first gen, 3.8L JKs is to open the TIPM fuse panel cover, locate big white dual fuse holder J13 and pull it up until it stops. This cuts power to the alarm, etc. Press it back down and the system will reset and you can start the JK. The fix was a Service action with TSB. They replace the WCM and your key set. They later came out with another replacement key set.
I did read that write up. I am not sure that I have a WCM. I do not have wireless anything in my Jeep. No buttons on my key. Manual windows and locks. I am going to pull my steering column off this weekend and look. My neighbor had the same problem that I am having. After many conversations with him, I have finally deduced that he removed his aftermarket alarm system and that resolved the issue. I am going to see if I can delete my aftermarket alarm and see if that fixes things. I don't use it any way as it alarms with any loud noise. Including my garage door.

I also read that my TIPM could be bad. I don't like that idea. Not sure how it could go bad.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

There is no way at all that a 2010 key doesn't have a chip in it.....which is totally separate from the idea of having electric anything. I promise there is a chip in that key housing whether there looks like it or not. Just recently went through the whole chipped key issue on a 2006 Ford for the kids. Ugh, sure wish keys were as simple as the good ole days. I can't say I know anything about the WCM, or WCM's in general, but Karl's idea above is definitely something I gotta stick in my brain for future use. I would have never thought about that.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

2010's are chipped keys. I've got manual everything and the gray key is chipped. I can be certain of this because I purchased a key from eBay, had it cut, and tried to start the jeep. She started....and then promptly turned off. I did the programming sequence (two known programmed keys) and now my third key works like the other two.

The aftermarket alarm I've got was an entirely different piece of hardware that I rarely use but it ties into the WCM and (as far as I'm aware) replicates the keys signal when I hit the remote start button.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I can second Karl. My wife's JK is manual everything and uses a key with just a grey plastic head to it. It's definitely chipped as we went through the same thing Karl did with purchasing additional keys.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

Yes my key is chipped. My whole point is, do I need the WCM, can I delete it and use a blank key (non programmed). In other words, can I get rid of the need to use the chip. Also, from the name Wireless Control Module, I thought it only worked with remotes. I have no remotes other than my aftermarket alarm. It does not have a remote start. But perhaps the alarm prevents my Jeep from starting when engaged by blocking the WCM. Not sure. I am going to work on that this weekend. This is good, I am getting more ideas of what might be going on. I know the trigger for my alarm is behind the metal plate under the steering column. My Jeep constantly kicks out heat from the vent on the floor. When I am wheeling, it is hot in there. The only time my Jeep does not restart is when I am attempting to go over an obstacle and do not goose it soon enough and the engine dies. My Jeep front end is up in the air. Then my key will turn, but nothing happens. All my electrical stuff works but the starter does not turn over. All the lights on the dash light up as if it wants to start, but no start. After I wait up to 20 minutes, the Jeep starts. I have never had this problem on the streets. Or coming out of the garage or a store or anything.Unless all this trouble is just starting, I can't help but to think that heat is playing a factor. The temp gauge reads normal however.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-26-2018, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

You've got the LS now, right? If I'm incorrect and you've got the 3.8 then it may be worth making sure the taco looking heat shield is in place. Maybe the LS has something similar, maybe not.

Quick Reply: Educate me on WCM.