Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me on WCM.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You've got the LS now, right? If I'm incorrect and you've got the 3.8 then it may be worth making sure the taco looking heat shield is in place. Maybe the LS has something similar, maybe not.
No LS. I wish.

But not I am really screwed. I found the source of my problem. It was the aftermarket alarm system failing. So I traced the wires and deleted it. I found the relay that caused the starter interuptus and removed it. Now the yellow wire that goes from the starter relay to the starter had to be spliced back together. I did that, and hot dam the Jeep started. It started a couple of times and then it no longer starts. So I pulled the relay switch and took it to the dealer for a new one. The guy showed me how to jump the relay to see if it was good. With the key on, and the clutch in, I triggered the relay and the starter cranked. However, the Jeep would not kick over. I have almost a full tank of gas but it sounds like the engine is turning, but not getting any gas so it won't kick over. Also, he told me that if the relay can turn the engine then there is no power going to the relay. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the relay would not be getting any power. I did not do anything else to the Jeep that would stop power. I checked all the fuses and they all look good. Now I am stumped. I even replaced the relay with another to make sure it was not the problem. No joy. Now I am stumped. I pulled the IOD and replaced it with a new fuse. Again, no joy. Any thoughts? Also, if the engine turns over, why will it not start then?
Old 07-26-2018, 01:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by prelucir
No LS. I wish.

But not I am really screwed. I found the source of my problem. It was the aftermarket alarm system failing. So I traced the wires and deleted it. I found the relay that caused the starter interuptus and removed it. Now the yellow wire that goes from the starter relay to the starter had to be spliced back together. I did that, and hot dam the Jeep started. It started a couple of times and then it no longer starts. So I pulled the relay switch and took it to the dealer for a new one. The guy showed me how to jump the relay to see if it was good. With the key on, and the clutch in, I triggered the relay and the starter cranked. However, the Jeep would not kick over. I have almost a full tank of gas but it sounds like the engine is turning, but not getting any gas so it won't kick over. Also, he told me that if the relay can turn the engine then there is no power going to the relay. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the relay would not be getting any power. I did not do anything else to the Jeep that would stop power. I checked all the fuses and they all look good. Now I am stumped. I even replaced the relay with another to make sure it was not the problem. No joy. Now I am stumped. I pulled the IOD and replaced it with a new fuse. Again, no joy. Any thoughts? Also, if the engine turns over, why will it not start then?
The relay you jumped to crank the engine...Is it the regular starter relay in the TIPM?
You can force the engine to crank by manually closing the starter relay in the TIPM, but the engine will not fire unless you have someone hold the key in the start position at the same time.

I mention this, not to indicate it is part of your problem, but to let you know that with the key in the ON position, the no-start with the forced crank is normal.

I have tested this on my JK. Manually closing the starter relay in the TIPM with the Key ON or OFF will make it crank. However, it will not fire unless someone is in the cab holding the key in the start position.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-26-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

Angry

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The relay you jumped to crank the engine...Is it the regular starter relay in the TIPM?
You can force the engine to crank by manually closing the starter relay in the TIPM, but the engine will not fire unless you have someone hold the key in the start position at the same time.

I mention this, not to indicate it is part of your problem, but to let you know that with the key in the ON position, the no-start with the forced crank is normal.

I have tested this on my JK. Manually closing the starter relay in the TIPM with the Key ON or OFF will make it crank. However, it will not fire unless someone is in the cab holding the key in the start position.
I did have someone hold the clutch in and the key in the on position. In fact, I had two someones do it. Still no start. This makes me sad. I am not sure what to do. So why is there not power to the relay to trigger it when I turn the key?? I am thinking that whatever will not power the relay also will not allow the engine to start.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

At this point, it is the shop's turn. If I can, I will try and find a way to test the Neutral Safety Switch. If it is not that, then the shop gets it.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

It may be worth checking your fusible link wire which have been known to fail.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
It may be worth checking your fusible link wire which have been known to fail.

I have no idea what a fusible link wire is. The Jeep is at the dealership now. I am waiting for the painful news.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:05 AM
JK Freak

Update: After more than two weeks at the dealership sitting topless in the rain I am finally hearing back. It bugs me because they have been blowing smoke up my butt for a week now. Finally I told them I was going to tow my Jeep to another dealership. Man called me back in one hour and said, "It is your timp and we can have if fixed tomorrow." Was that so hard? So tomorrow is today. I will see if it gets done. $1400.00 to replace my TIMP.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Was TIPM failure just dumb coincidence, or do you think you helped caused that in the process of removing the old alarm system?
Old 08-16-2018, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
Was TIPM failure just dumb coincidence, or do you think you helped caused that in the process of removing the old alarm system?
I am not a hundred percent sure. I introduced a wire in the starting circuit that draws a small amount of power. That was when it went from intermittent no start to simply no start. I think it was just failing. Whether or not I pushed it to total failure, I don't know. Either way, after failing to start three times in the high country, I am glad it all happened in my garage vs. on a trail.

I called the dealer again a few minutes ago, as we are still working on our trust issues, and they said that the TIMP was in the Jeep, it starts and runs but that it does not communicate with the PCM. He further stated that the PCM is under warranty and that it will be her in the afternoon and my Jeep should be done today. I am not sure how it is under warranty when my Jeep is 7 years old. But I will take it. I have a big trip planned for the week of Labor Day, so I need it to work correctly.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Baby is back from the doctors. The total was $1246.64. That sucks. But I am up and running now. They replaced the tipm and the Jeep started but apparently would not work as the computer did not work. That was replaced for free. The total labor was less than $300.00. That includes a few hours or more of diagnosing. So I cannot complain too much. It just sucks that I could by that part on line for almost half price.

Quick Reply: Educate me on WCM.