Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Electric Anti-Rust Gismo

Old 01-16-2007, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Machster50
NEW INFORMATION PROVIDED AT PAGE 2 IN THIS POST... SEE INSTALL PICS...

HEy folks:

Given the harsh winter climate we have in this corner of the planet and the salt mines that are spread over our highways, I decided to invest in this product, available at Canadian Tire (in Canada, d-oh), or Crappy Tire as we affectionatley call them (but a really cool store by canadian standards anyway), and were on sale last week at $100 off, or $299 cdn, for the suv model gizmo .

It's called "CounterAct" and the product can be viewed at www.counteractrust.com

If anyone has tried this product, feel free to join the conversation, but as I see it, it's a dirt cheap investment if this works only half as good as they claim.

Essentially, the product uses 12V DC and converts it to high V, low amperage power that is sent via wires and 2 contacts, one in front, other in back (suv model) . The theory is that the current significantly prevents the oxidation process, ie oxygen contacting with iron. The pictures even show a significant reduction in rusting in areas like brake drums or rotors... places no amount of undercoating will ever / could ever be used.

Just looking to see if there is any experience out there with this product.

If there is interest, I will take pictures and post my attempt at the installation process...

Cheers!

Cheers!
I gotta believe you either sell this product or you invented it...
Old 01-17-2007, 03:41 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jsherman
I gotta believe you either sell this product or you invented it...
LOL!! Well, if you can believe it, I talked to Machster50 and I believe him when he says he is not a manufacturer or vendor of this product. In the end, he's just one hell of an informed customer

Need I say, this thread has been re-opened.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
LOL!! Well, if you can believe it, I talked to Machster50 and I believe him when he says he is not a manufacturer or vendor of this product. In the end, he's just one hell of an informed customer

Need I say, this thread has been re-opened.
thanks Wayoflife, all I did was read the manual.

but somehow the pics seem to have disappeared...? can you fix? tks.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:03 PM
paragon

Originally Posted by Egmont
First let me say I am a marine electrician for the better part of 25 years and marine corrosion and prevention is a big part of my activities.

The first time I heard about a unit like this was here and I am not sure, but I will keep an open mind.

You cannot compare these two systems as they do two different thing, one prevents rust in a more or less dry environment while the other prevents corrosion in a submerged environment.

I can’t speak for the first, but I know the second. A boat in the water acts like a battery, the boat is the anode and cathode. By them self, nothing happens, but when you submerge them in water, that’s when the battery effect starts. Saltwater is a fantastic conductor, fresh water has very little conductivity. Of the ladder of nobility, where gold is on the top and zinc and magnesium on the bottom, zinc is used as the sacrificial anode in this “battery”. These anodes are designed to prevent incidental corrosion, not rust, in the marine environment.

This brings me to the reason for this longwinded explanation, Rob, your statement is not quite right, boats shipped to lake, freshwater, regions do not have or need zincs. I do not doubt that you have what you described, but the reason for this corrosion is a severe electrical problem on your boat.

If my boat would be in this condition, I would go, no run, to a qualified marine electrician, not a car or household electrician, but a marine electrician that is trained in the marine environment. Also, if you have 110v service on board, I would not physically touch your boat unless it is unplugged.

I did not mean to hijack the thread, but I think it is important to know why things happen.

Just my 2 ct worth.
The first, "dry environment", does occur and is used quite often in a large scale. Many bridges, pipelines (as already brought up), and other metal structures use impressed current cathodic protection where sacrificial anodes are used.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:04 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Machster50
thanks Wayoflife, all I did was read the manual.

but somehow the pics seem to have disappeared...? can you fix? tks.
Sorry, but in all honesty, I never saw any of the pics you are refering to. :confused:
Old 01-17-2007, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Sorry, but in all honesty, I never saw any of the pics you are refering to. :confused:
in that case, what is the best way to post the pics?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by chris269
When was the last time you got rid of a car because it rusted away. It would be a great selling point.
Ha ha! My Dad's 1964 Jeep Wagoneer! By 1972 it was so rotten I almost gave it away...
Old 01-17-2007, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

trouble adding pics here goes again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0154_resize.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	491   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0158_resize.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0159_resize.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	493   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0160_resize.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0162_resize.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	495  

Old 01-18-2007, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paragon
The first, "dry environment", does occur and is used quite often in a large scale. Many bridges, pipelines (as already brought up), and other metal structures use impressed current cathodic protection where sacrificial anodes are used.
These are not dry environments. If they where than nothing would work. these systems work off of moisture in the ground carring the current through the pipe and then throught the ground to anodes placed away from the pipe or bridge. Moisture carries the current. No moisture no current flow. Coatings are the best way to halt corrosion. If the metal never see's the light of day than it will not corrode.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Modshack
Ha ha! My Dad's 1964 Jeep Wagoneer! By 1972 it was so rotten I almost gave it away...
Ok you got me. but most normal people don't keep their cars long enough for them to rott away. Trust me this system is a rip off.

Quick Reply: Electric Anti-Rust Gismo