Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect?? Saving Weight

Old 07-13-2017, 10:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect?? Saving Weight

Ok so im trying to drop some weight on my 2014 2 Door Rubi. Here is my question.... how much weight can i save from just installing a standard JK stock front sway bar with disconnects? Honesty i don't like the Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect anyway, im not to lazy to take 5 minutes to disconnect my sway bar manually.. and i will also gain ground clearance. It was never a big deal in my TJ to do it myself. I am currently also searching for a good deal on synthetic winch rope and a aluminum fairlead. If i could lose like 50 pounds doing all of this i would be happy. Thank for the help guys

Last edited by YukonBlu; 07-14-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by YukonBlu
Ok so im trying to drop some weight on my 2014 2 Door Rubi. Here is my question.... how much weight can i save from just installing a standard JK stock front sway bar with disconnects? Honesty i don't like the Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect anyway, im not to lazy to take 5 minutes to disconnect my sway bar manually.. and i will also gain ground clearance. It was never a big deal in my TJ to do it myself. I am currently also searching for a good deal on synthetic winch rope and a aluminum fairlead. If i could loose like 50 pounds doing all of this i would be happy. Thank for the help guys
Like really not much at all, you definitely WILL NOT notice any change because it's so negligible. If you want to save weight, chop all the BS behind the stock bumpers and install some frame chop bumpers.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Like really not much at all, you definitely WILL NOT notice any change because it's so negligible. If you want to save weight, chop all the BS behind the stock bumpers and install some frame chop bumpers.
Already did that haha.. but thanks. I noticed the front of my jeep drop a bit when i installed my Warn Zeon 10 with steel cable.. which weights about 95 pounds. So im at least thinking these changes will help will get me close to back where i was. Any chance someone know the weight of this electric sway bar? Vs. Stock one?
Old 07-14-2017, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Amazon lists the weight of the rubi sway bar as 38lbs

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Jeep-.../dp/B009XOK5P4

I don't see the regular sway bar weight, but have to think it's generally around 13-15lbs like this Hellwig one.

https://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-7865-...front+sway+bar

Total savings ~23 lbs.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001

I don't see the regular sway bar weight, but have to think it's generally around 13-15lbs like this Hellwig one.

Total savings ~23 lbs.
I have found amazon's weight all over the place. Not saying it really only weighs 38lbs but I would not use their weight as gospel. I have ordered heavy things that they had listed light and light things they have listed heavy.

To OP I had a 20lbs savings going from steel to synthetic on my warn and that was weighed on a postage scale. The fairlead will abount to 4 or 5 lbs if I remember correctly. You will be pretty close to where you want ditching the disco motor. I have been thinking the same myself, as I run jks discos on my rubi anyway.

Last edited by jadmt; 07-14-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001

Total savings ~23 lbs.
Thanks man... looking around myself i think you are pretty close.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
I have found amazon's weight all over the place. Not saying it really only weighs 38lbs but I would not use their weight as gospel. I have ordered heavy things that they had listed light and light things they have listed heavy.

To OP I had a 20lbs savings going from steel to synthetic on my warn and that was weighed on a postage scale. The fairlead will abount to 4 or 5 lbs if I remember correctly. You will be pretty close to where you want ditching the disco motor. I have been thinking the same myself, as I run jks discos on my rubi anyway.
Yeah the disco motor is a good idea... i guess for women or something that would never disconnect manually. But honesty i have found it to be more of a pain in the ass then anything else. I run a Poison Spyder BFH front bumper and the disconnect motor kills my approach angle.. which is the whole purpose of the BFH front bumper. And on the 2014 JK you cant really do the disco flip... i tried it and it was rubbing on AC condenser and lines so i filled it back.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:58 AM
JK Jedi

Yeah the disco motor is a good idea... i guess for women or something that would never disconnect manually. But honesty i have found it to be more of a pain in the ass then anything else. I run a Poison Spyder BFH front bumper and the disconnect motor kills my approach angle.. which is the whole purpose of the BFH front bumper. And on the 2014 JK you cant really do the disco flip... i tried it and it was rubbing on AC condenser and lines so i filled it back.
also if you run a high steer kit you risk having issues if you flip it as the wiring harness can get buggered up. I will say on my 2014 jkur I did the disco flip with no issues I ran it that way for about 50,000 miles with no issues. I had clearance. When I tried the same thing on my 2016 that I installed a high steer kit on I ran into trouble as the clamp bolts caught the harness.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
also if you run a high steer kit you risk having issues if you flip it as the wiring harness can get buggered up. I will say on my 2014 jkur I did the disco flip with no issues I ran it that way for about 50,000 miles with no issues. I had clearance. When I tried the same thing on my 2016 that I installed a high steer kit on I ran into trouble as the clamp bolts caught the harness.
Yeah.. this is what im saying. The disconnect motor is just more trouble than its worth for some of us. I'm getting rid of mine and going with stock with manual disconnects... already made this decision. I just gotta find a good deal on a stock front sway bar. Found a new one for $140 plus $15 shipping which isn't bad. And some jack ass in my Jeep Club offered to sell me a used one after i made a post on facebook looking for one. He said make me an offer so i was like I'll give $50 and come pick it up. He came back and said " i searched the net and these are going for as much as $250.. so ill sell you this one for $125". I mean really... why are some jeep club guys like this... i told him i can get a new one for $140 so i offered him $70, and he said "go buy that one then". I'm like ok good luck selling you such highly in demand used sway bar for for $125. What a dick lol
Old 07-16-2017, 05:54 PM
JK Jedi

Yeah.. this is what im saying. The disconnect motor is just more trouble than its worth for some of us. I'm getting rid of mine and going with stock with manual disconnects... already made this decision. I just gotta find a good deal on a stock front sway bar. Found a new one for $140 plus $15 shipping which isn't bad. And some jack ass in my Jeep Club offered to sell me a used one after i made a post on facebook looking for one. He said make me an offer so i was like I'll give $50 and come pick it up. He came back and said " i searched the net and these are going for as much as $250.. so ill sell you this one for $125". I mean really... why are some jeep club guys like this... i told him i can get a new one for $140 so i offered him $70, and he said "go buy that one then". I'm like ok good luck selling you such highly in demand used sway bar for for $125. What a dick lol
there probably is a lot of them sitting around from guys who have either converted to rubi disos or the Madrid of other disco systems. I now a lot of guys on jko have gone to curie etc systems.

Quick Reply: Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect?? Saving Weight