Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Electronic swaybar problem

Old 07-26-2017, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by Arson
I have been riding on the street and on trails for a long time with - out a front sway bar. It's really not needed unless you are a speed demon flying around corners. Saves weight on the front also.
I don't mind staying disconnected if on a long wheelin trip and it's back and forth/around town things in between, but I don't think I'd want to be disconnected full time on a daily driver. It's not the normal driving that would worry me, but should you ever have to make a quick evasive maneuver, that would making it pretty dicey.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I don't mind staying disconnected if on a long wheelin trip and it's back and forth/around town things in between, but I don't think I'd want to be disconnected full time on a daily driver. It's not the normal driving that would worry me, but should you ever have to make a quick evasive maneuver, that would making it pretty dicey.
Yeppppp.

The rear doesn't matter at all. It flexes fine connected and drives okay disconnected. The front though...no way man. At least not for me. I have done it once before driving from Rausch Creek's parking lot to the gas station 3 miles away and it was like driving a boat. Had to take turns like a grandma...and should I ever need to pull an evasive maneuver HA...consider the Jeep rolled.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree with the last 2 posts; I wouldn't drive on surface roads without a front anti-sway bar for safety reasons. My electric disco went out a few months ago in the disconnected config and driving was noticeably less controlled.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Recon Rubi

My sway bar light just began to randomly come on about 3 weeks ago. I asked around and nobody had any idea what the problem could be. I literally just found this thread today, read through it and wouldn't you know it! I go start my jeep and hello Christmas lights! SERIOUSLY???? LOL.
A 2017 Rubicon with less than 54k miles on it, and this is already happening.
Thank all of you for the information though. At least I know how to fix it myself now!!!
olllllllo
Old 02-14-2021, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 469 Likes on 421 Posts

OP - did you physically make changes to wiring or did you get your hands on the factory harness that plugs into the sway bar motor? (It came with wiring instructions??) That would require a harness that replaces wiring to other components in the Jeep that are already wired because the swaybar harness is not a stand alone item (at least on my 2008 Rubicon). If you did the latter then the issue may be at the switch end.
If you did the wiring changes into the existing harness then did you have the factory wiring diagrams? Usually easy to sweet talk the local dealer for them. You have to ensure that the physical side is correct.
On my HP Tuners (and probably JSCan too) there is a feature to turn on the swaybar in the ECU. Did you get that done?

Quick Reply: Electronic swaybar problem