Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine options

Old 07-13-2016, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine options

Long story short, need a new engine. What are my options in case I don't want to go with the 3.8? What have people paid to replace with a Jasper or other rebuilt engine? What other options are there and the costs for the swap? Thanks
Old 07-13-2016, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chevy 350 / hemi / 4bt / 6bt there is a bunch of them and there have been quite a few writeups with all that info in them.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Average motor swap is between $12-30K for an LS/Hemi to the higher end for 4/6BT, where as swapping out the 3.8L is about $2500. Just something to think about.

R/
Will
Old 07-13-2016, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

There is a nice 4.1 stroker engine that has been worked over and from the specs is really nice. Its like 4kish as I remember? Its a direct swap besides tuning. When my 3.8 gives it up I am looking at going with it and turning up the boost.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Ignore my lack of engine knowledge. A 4.1 striker would be a similar install? No additional parts or costs compared to a remanufactured or 3.8 swap?
Old 07-13-2016, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dcwilson17
Ignore my lack of engine knowledge. A 4.1 striker would be a similar install? No additional parts or costs compared to a remanufactured or 3.8 swap?
It is a 3.8 engine that has been worked over and all the inherent design flaws addressed on top of a set of heads that are dressed with better parts and ported. There are several cam options as well. Just go to the site "505performance" or call them up and ask away. But yes it is a direct bolt in exact physical replacement, no modification needed besides tuning. Makes a nice bit of power over stock as well. if you already need a new motor I would say its worth the extra coin to upgrade.

Check this.....

http://www.shop.505performance.com/p...&categoryId=49

Last edited by DKJEEP; 07-13-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Any thought on putting in a 4.7 from a Dodge Ram? Don't need a Hemi but a smaller V8 would be nice.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The ones mentioned are the engines that companies have spent the time and money to figure out how to get them to play nice in the JK. Choose something else, and it's all on you. No how-to's, no ready made plug-n-play install kits, just you cutting and welding and scratching your head as you dig into the electronics.

Just the install kits for some of them are five grand. Then you still need to source the correct model and year of the engine and transmission and whatever else.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mstef3
Any thought on putting in a 4.7 from a Dodge Ram? Don't need a Hemi but a smaller V8 would be nice.
The GM LS series engines are lightweight, compact, powerful and affordable.

We now support the Gen V LS engines, with Direct Injection, High Compression on regular gas, Continuous VVT, Enhanced Multiple Displacement.....IMO no other V8 makes sense.

Were getting near 450 HP with the L86 engine with perfect drivability and better mpg than the V6.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
The GM LS series engines are lightweight, compact, powerful and affordable.
Please specify further what your definition is as being "affordable"?

I've looked at some of the HEMI swap options and when the price gets into the same price as it would cost to just buy a new JK, then that falls outside of what I would call affordable in a logical sense because logic would tell me to just go buy a new vehicle instead of wasting money on replacing an engine on an older one.

Quick Reply: Engine options