Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP engaging at highway speeds after lift

Old 06-03-2015, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP engaging at highway speeds after lift

I just had a Rock Krawler 3.5" lift kit and 35" tires installed today on my 2013 JK 4 door Rubicon. When driving at highway speeds (around 60 MPH) the ESP occasionally engages. This is pretty scary because it reduces the speed and the jeep moves a little side to side until it disengages after 4-6 seconds. The jeep moves around when driving after the lift, so it's taking a little getting used to. I can live with it moving around some, but not the ESP engaging randomly.

I've read posts about disengaging the system for off road, but I sure want it on at highway speeds.

Has anyone else had this issue and what might be the fix?
Old 06-03-2015, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Did you re center your steering wheel after?
Old 06-03-2015, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does your little jeep burnout light come on? Does it only happen around corners? I had a 2 door with a 6" lift and it was crazy. It has something to do with your tone rings reading the different speeds from larger tires. If you disengage ur traction control every time your start it up, buy a AEV procal, or a tuner and recalibrate your speedo your problem will be fine!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

4 wheel parts did the lift installation and did center the steering wheel.

The Traction Control light comes on when it happens. The first two times I was so stunned I didn't notice it, but the third time the sun was going down and I noticed the light.

It only happens when I'm going straight at highway speeds.

I bought a "FlashCal", but I haven't used it yet. (I'm taking the Jeep to the dealer tomorrow, for a recall fix so I didn't want to reprogram until after they've done the recall.) I hope the speed recalibration fixes the problem.

I just got off the phone with a friend that had the same problem with a 6" lift. He has a 2008 JK and did the "the steering wheel dance" to disable the ESP. I hear that will not work on a 2013.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just re cal ur speedo and you should be good to go. Worst case youll need an alignment which you can do yourself.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShooterIndy
I just had a Rock Krawler 3.5" lift kit and 35" tires installed today on my 2013 JK 4 door Rubicon. When driving at highway speeds (around 60 MPH) the ESP occasionally engages. This is pretty scary because it reduces the speed and the jeep moves a little side to side until it disengages after 4-6 seconds. The jeep moves around when driving after the lift, so it's taking a little getting used to. I can live with it moving around some, but not the ESP engaging randomly.

I've read posts about disengaging the system for off road, but I sure want it on at highway speeds.

Has anyone else had this issue and what might be the fix?
I had this issue as well. Alignment fixed it. Also check air pressure. Make sure psi not too high. When I installed new tires they had crazy 50 lbs of pressure. Made my esp go off.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:38 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PANGMAN
I had this issue as well. Alignment fixed it. Also check air pressure. Make sure psi not too high. When I installed new tires they had crazy 50 lbs of pressure. Made my esp go off.
...and also psi that's not too low. If you're on a stretch of highway that has a section of slight rolling consecutive bumps, that plus the low tire pressure will cause the rig to "bounce" harmonically up and down and will engage it also. Brought it back up to 26 psi and been fine since.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Same thing happened to me when i got my tires rotated. There is a fuse you can take out to turn it off in the meantime. Just do a search. the dashboard will light up with icons when you take the fuse out.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help!

I lowered the tire pressure from 47 psi to 35 psi. (I called Mickey Thompson and they gave me the recommended tire pressure.) I also recalibrated the speedometer with a FlashCal.
4 Wheel parts also adjusted the setting on the Fox front stabilizer from 5 clicks to 0 clicks.

Problem solved. No more ESP issues.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure that after 500-1000 miles of driving, you check affected parts the ensure they are at torque specs, and stay there. Track bar in particular can cause loose steering and throw the ESP. Also watch upper and lower control arms, drag link....etc. I had a similar issue which I had my mechanic look at and diagnose as steering wheel centering/ just happens with a lift.

Quick Reply: ESP engaging at highway speeds after lift