Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP intermittently activates when I turn right

Old 10-09-2010, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP intermittently activates when I turn right

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep at the lake.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	94113Hey all...

I lifted my 2007 Sahara JK with a Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost with Monotube Shock.

Ever since then, when I turn right going about 30mph... (turning from one road to another), my ESP activates! Scares the hell out of you at first... because it changes the power, brakes, etc...

I've taken it to the dealer (said there's no problem), taken it to the people who installed it (said there's no problem), and other independent dealers... all say (there's no problem).

BUT... damn thing keeps activating when I turn right (so there is a problem). Only thing I can think of is the turn's momentum (minimal G Force) activates the ESP in thinking possible roll-over.

Has anyone had this experience... and been able to solve it?????

THANKS!!!
Old 10-09-2010, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pablocabo
Attachment 94113Hey all...

I lifted my 2007 Sahara JK with a Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost with Monotube Shock.

Ever since then, when I turn right going about 30mph... (turning from one road to another), my ESP activates! Scares the hell out of you at first... because it changes the power, brakes, etc...

I've taken it to the dealer (said there's no problem), taken it to the people who installed it (said there's no problem), and other independent dealers... all say (there's no problem).

BUT... damn thing keeps activating when I turn right (so there is a problem). Only thing I can think of is the turn's momentum (minimal G Force) activates the ESP in thinking possible roll-over.

THANKS!!!
did you re-align your front end after the lift ??? what is your toe-in ???
Old 10-09-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

is your steering wheel straight ?? have your tires been properly rotated (not wearing funny) ??
Old 10-09-2010, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

I had this problem too but it only did it at this one turn and if you went around it to fast it would activate the ESP. I solved the problem by disabling the ESP with my SuperChips.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check to see if your steering wheel is centered. It may be off by a little bit. Drive completely straight and stop your Jeep and look at the steering wheel. If it seems a bit off you can adjust it easily to get it right on.
Here is a good how to guide.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 10-09-2010, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

THANKS!!!
I would recommend picking up an AEV procal. Its great for reprogramming change in tire size etc and it also has the option to perfectly recenter your steering wheel. I just plugged mine in when my tech was doing the alignment after my lift install. I sat in the Jeep and told him when the wheel was center based on the indication made by the procal and he tightened everything up. I've yet to have any issues (except when I bent my tie rod).

Also I would recommend you thoroughly read the FAQ section as it covers a ton of the issues seen after installing a lift etc. Plus you'll learn a ton!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

THANKS!!!
The same thing was happening to me for 5 months. I got front adj. lca's to adjust the caster. no more esp problems since.

Last edited by sshifflett; 10-09-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

take the advice and have the issue fixed correctly first... then put in a switch to completely turn it off when you want.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

thanks for responding... didn't align front end or change toe-in because I was told that <3" lift didn't require it with the new JK's.

tires are wearing even...

think i'm going to investigate the straight steering wheel issue first.

Quick Reply: ESP intermittently activates when I turn right