Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EVO C Gussets and AEV

Old 10-15-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
TeraFlex removed the front coils and shocks from the front of a JK. With the JK resting on it's bumpstops against the axle, 2 employees jumped up and down on the front bumper. We found that just from this, the axle would deflect/bend. So it's possible to bend a front axle from just bottoming out hard on the stock bumpstops. That's one of the reasons as to why TeraFlex came out with the SpeedBumps. It's not hard to bent one in stock or modified condition. Adding axle sleeves and C gussets is good idea and a even better first modification to any JK.
Are you talking the axles or axle tubes? I have heard of tubes bending at the pumpkin but not of the axles bending...just snapping
Old 10-15-2009, 11:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlejon
I didn't mean to turn this into an argument, but since one company is seeing the axle bending that usually uses a specific wheel and tire combo (AEV wheels and BFG Tires), and another says it is the C (Most EVO rigs are shown on a Walker Evan / Toyo combo) I was just wonedering how much the wheel and tire combo played into this? The Walker wheels are 7 pounds heavier each than the AEV wheels (17" beadlock vs. 17" beadlock), and a 35" Toyo tire is 15 pounds heavier than a 35" BFG for a total difference 22 pounds per set.

I was just wondering if there was more to this than just the C such as the wheel and tire combo that would cause one shop to see the axle and the other to see the C as the problem.
LOL!! i'm sorry, i didn't think we were arguing but rather, just having a discussion

regarding the "one company", don't you think it's wierd that only one is reporting this problem? i mean, there are tons of JK's out there running large tires and to the best of my knowledge, none are complaining about axle tubes bending. sure, a lot have camber on their front wheels but then, they don't have any gussets. likewise, a lot don't and most only have gussets installed.

the problem with bending stems from tire size and not necessarily from it's weight. the taller the tire, the more leverage it will apply to the upper half of your C's when wheeling. trust me, there are a TON of people running NON walker wheels or heck, factory wheels with 35" tires or larger and they still have bending of the C's. in fact, when we bent our C's, we were running 35" procomp extreme mt's on procomp aluminum wheels - way lighter than any combination that aev has run. once we started running walkers and 37" toyos, we had gussets and saw no addition camber.

i should also add that if in fact this one company saw bending from jumping their jeep, they most likely would have seen the bending regardless of what tires they were running.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
how did you measure the bending you think you saw? if all the force was being put on the bumpstops (ie. directly on the axle and at the ends) i don't see how there could there be any bending at all.

for the record, i'm not trying to be right on this issue and if someone can show me proof of what is being claimed, i will happly admit that i was wrong.
We didn't measure anything, but the deflection was easy to see. R&D mentioned that the factory front bumpstops will compress hard enough up into the metal cup on a hard hit. Causing the metal cup of the bumpstop to come into contact with the axle. I'm going to see if we can get some video of this.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:02 PM
JK-Forum Founder

We didn't measure anything, but the deflection was easy to see. R&D mentioned that the factory front bumpstops will compress hard enough up into the metal cup on a hard hit. Causing the metal cup of the bumpstop to come into contact with the axle. I'm going to see if we can get some video of this.
when you did this test, is it safe to assume that you had the tires off and that the front axle was sitting on jack stands? if so, where where the jack stand placed?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

when you did this test, is it safe to assume that you had the tires off and that the front axle was sitting on jack stands? if so, where where the jack stand placed?
The JK was on all of it's wheels, rear suspension was in place. There were no factory bumpstops in place so it was metal on metal contact. R&D watched the space between the knuckles and coil buckets become smaller then larger as employees jumped up and down on the front bumper.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:22 PM
JK-Forum Founder

The JK was on all of it's wheels, rear suspension was in place. There were no factory bumpstops in place so it was metal on metal contact. R&D watched the space between the knuckles and coil buckets become smaller then larger as employees jumped up and down on the front bumper.
okay, so are you saying that what they were observing was the knuckles bending - i.e. the upper part of the C's and NOT the tube?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

okay, so are you saying that what they were observing was the knuckles bending - i.e. the upper part of the C's and NOT the tube?
I've talked to R&D about this. Sounds like we will try to video this and get some documentation for everyone to see. We're thinking of doing a white background with a grid on it. I'm hoping we can do this before SEMA.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:26 PM
JK-Forum Founder

I've talked to R&D about this. Sounds like we will try to video this and get some documentation for everyone to see. We're thinking of doing a white background with a grid on it. I'm hoping we can do this before SEMA.
that would be awesome

also, i'd like to know if the bending you're seeing results in permanent failure or, if it's just springing back into shape. like anything, i can see how a long tube can bend a bit given the right circumstances but whether or not it's to the point where stays bent and to the point where it leaves permanent camber on your wheels is what i think the issue is here.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

This would be great. Please do this for us.

Wayoflife - is the 2 degrees camber you mention noticable by eye or something you found from an alignement rack? I assume, stock camber set at zero on our jeeps; is this correct? I also assume 2 degrees is not easily noticed when drving on the street, correct?

My front axle on my JK is still stock but planning on adding internal EVO sleeves and Cs to be safe but want to have it checked at the allignment shop first. I know my TJ's front D30 was bent early on but never had it on a rack to verify the degrees or if it could be corrected by misalligned ball joints.

Any one found a good replacement for the stock ball joints that are failing? I know Dynatrac is working on some but have not been released yet. Napa has some misalligned ball joints that are suppose to be stronger than stock but I do not have verification of this yet.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinlock
Yes, they are compatible.

I am running the AEV premium lift kit which includes the drag link flip kit (high steering kit). EVO recently installed my 5.13s and offered to install the C gussets when I dropped off my JK.

If you want further assurance call Mel at Offroad Evolution (714-870-5515). He is the man!
Based on the different responses to this same question, I have come to the conclusion that I will install the aev lift and then have Offroad install the C Gussets; I suspect they have to modify the brackets slightly to accomodate the AEV brackets. I am afraid if I did things in the other order, the AEV bracket would no longer be a simple bolt on application.

Quick Reply: EVO C Gussets and AEV