Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EVO Rock star skids help.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO Rock star skids help.

I have a 2011 JKUR with a RK 2.5 Max Travel lift with Fox shocks and stock tires and stock bump stops. Measured the exposed shock shaft and the space between the bump stops. The shaft length was 4 3/8" and the space between the bump stops was 6.5". According to a previous post it said to subtract the shaft length from the bump stop measurement. I of coarse got a negative number so the rock stars will not work on my current set up. What would be the correct way to fix this so I can run the rock stars? To me the only options I have are longer bump stops or new shocks. I plan to run 35s in the near future so should I just get longer bump stops to keep the 35s off my fenders? Thanks for any and all help!

2011 JKUR, manual trans and some other stuff.....
Old 09-23-2014, 07:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synergy makes upper shock relocation brackets to raise the shock up 1.5". The rest will need to be fixed with bump stop.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

I should've added that the synergy brackets do not work with many exhaust systems.

Personally, I would run longer bump stops and keep the down-travel gain unless you are unseating your springs at full droop.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Bump stops would be the cheaper route for sure. But wouldn't I have to add like 4"+ of bump stop to make the rock stars work?

Old 09-23-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mstrofpuppets
Bump stops would be the cheaper route for sure. But wouldn't I have to add like 4"+ of bump stop to make the rock stars work?

Yes, it looks like you need 2-2.5" now without the rockstars. The rockstars raise the mount about 1-1.5" yo you would need about 4".
Old 09-23-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Ok thanks for the help. Think I will get new shocks, I think 4" of bumps stop would be too much with a 2.5 lift and 35s when I get them.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Look for a shock with a collapsed length of about 16.5" then use 2" of bump stop and the Rockstars... That's what I have and it works well.

Edit... those are 37s BTW, but it won't matter because you need the bump to protect the shock not the tire stuff.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

Copy that. Thanks again for the help man.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed the synergy mounts. I think they are a great option but there are things that have to be changed to make them work.

I'm using Metalcloak lower mounts which raise the shock almost 3".

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1411488926416.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	576911

Other required mods:
Non factory exhaust (I think this is a good thing)
Space sway bar back and down to clear shocks. (worked for me because of the non factory exhaust)
Can't use stock sway bar links. I'm not sure what links I have, I flipped them and used a special bolt that I had laying around.

Tailpipe needs to be tweaked so it's not so close to shock boot. The pipe was made before I installed the upper brackets.

Sent from my d2lte using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rob50lx; 09-23-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jnabird333
Look for a shock with a collapsed length of about 16.5" then use 2" of bump stop and the Rockstars... That's what I have and it works well.

Edit... those are 37s BTW, but it won't matter because you need the bump to protect the shock not the tire stuff.
Although this method works, I disagree. I think you should size bumpstops to maximize tire stuff and choose the the longest shock that will fit at the measured collapsed length. If you are willing, I would also consider modifications to get a longer shock without decreasing ground clearance.

I usually try to maximize my travel and I would have preferred to run 12" travel shocks but I wasn't ready to cut holes in the floor or reduce the already crappy ground clearance of the rear shocks.

Sent from my d2lte using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: EVO Rock star skids help.