Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust upgrade question

Old 05-13-2018, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust upgrade question

Ok so Tuesday, I have a appointment at the local muffler place and he said that they don’t install kits... that they fabricate all piping and tips. He wants to cut off a bit befor the stock ugly box can of a muffler and run straight pipe, with exit of my choosing of location
My question is is this good? I know what it will sound like but is it good for the jeep and should I have a muffler ?

Old 05-13-2018, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of JK owners remove the OEM muffler and run without one, so that will not be a problem. Personally, I'd like to see some of their work. I know we have several shops in my area that bend their own pipes. Some do excellent work, others turn out crap.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

If you're just going to mall crawl and annoy your neighbors, then run without a muffler. However, if you plan to use that Jeep to take you to the wilderness places that a Jeep is capable of taking you, then please run a proper muffler. We don't go out there to hear kiddie cars loudly trashing the quiet.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

^^^^ THIS... in addition to the droning that will surely occur on the highway.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

I personally don't find the sound pleasant on a JK without a muffler. On the other hand, I had to get rid of that monstrosity hanging under the rear of the jeep. I went with the axle back Afe hi-tuck Scorpion and am very happy. Pretty quiet over all and got rid of that huge tin can.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

double post
Old 05-14-2018, 05:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I estimate that it will take about 3 minutes for you to be dead tired of what no muffler sounds like! When I replaced my muffler, I drove about 10 miles from home to the muffler shop with no muffler, and it killed me the entire way! I know a few others that did a muffler delete with a pipe dumping straight out over the axle....didn't last long for them either.

I also wouldn't bother with a kit....they sound like crap and not worth the money. I think I'm one of few that have been really happy with a $35 Thrush welded muffler mounted up in factory location with mom and pop muffler shop doing nice job bending new pipe to mate up with it ($40). Barely see it even with a skinny bumper, and not much of a loud drone like many of the kits.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

As everyone else has already mentioned...no muffler is not a good idea unless you're in high school and this is your first car.

I just ripped my muffler off a few weeks ago for the sake of clearance. Sounds like crap and I'm honestly so embarrassed by it that when I went to buy gas, I upshifted too soon in every gear to keep the RPM's and noise down. My ears just couldn't take the embarrassment. People were looking at me, but not in a "wow cool Jeep" kind of way...more of the "wow did this guy VTEC swap his Jeep??"

I have a small Thush welded muffler sitting in a box in my garage. Will 100% weld it on before I drive the Jeep again.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ya definitely not wanting something stupid loud but I hear that on highway speeds with out a muffler your rpms go up. Sounds like I’ll have them put a muffler that’s lean and sleak and high 150$ is dam good deal
Old 05-14-2018, 09:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
I have a small Thush welded muffler sitting in a box in my garage. Will 100% weld it on before I drive the Jeep again.
I've been very happy with mine for a couple years now. If you mount it in factory location, cut the pegs the factory heat shield secures with real short. gets you a tiny bit more clearance to tuck that way up there. I have a crawler conceptz skinny bumper and you can barely see the muffler. Makes you realize how huge the factory is. I didn't chop my heat shield pegs and i hit the muffler on a rock or something, and it bent that peg to almost 90*, pulling the bit of sheetmetal (bottom side of the interior cubby) and putting a little hole in my tub.
The following users liked this post:
BoraBora (05-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrade question