Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

expedition one rear bumper issue.....help please.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default expedition one rear bumper issue.....help please.

my expedition one rear bumper/tire carrier is making my tailgate rattle. the whole reason for getting a new bumper was to STOP tailgate noise. i had my reservations about going with this bumper because of the way it attaches to the tailgate, but i was assured by both expedition one and the shop i bought it from that all of the stress was on the bumper and they had never had an issue with the tailgate rattling. maybe there is a way i can adjust it??? anyone else dealt with this?
Old 04-28-2010, 01:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um, I couldn't afford one of those, so I bought a cheap smittybuilt that doesn't rattle.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did the tail gate have issues prior to putting on the bumper? If so it may have been damaged previously by a heavy spare. If it's a new rattle then that really sucks. I have this same bumper and have had no problems w/ it. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Um, I couldn't afford one of those, so I bought a cheap smittybuilt that doesn't rattle.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bonker
Did the tail gate have issues prior to putting on the bumper? If so it may have been damaged previously by a heavy spare. If it's a new rattle then that really sucks. I have this same bumper and have had no problems w/ it. Good luck.
yes, it did have rattles and squeeks from a 35" before i got the bumper, but it doesn't rattle without the spare on there, so it stands to reason that if i had a tire carrier that didn't connect the the tailgate i wouldn't have an issue. guess i should have followed my initial instincts.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll try to stop by tomorrow or Friday and see if we can narrow down the location.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

It is probably not your tailgate. Mine will make a similar noise every 3 or 4 months, all I have to do is remove the bolt that attaches the swing arm to the gate bracket and re-grease it and the bushings the bolt goes through. Takes all of 5 minutes, piece of cake.

If I would quit blasting that location with water when I am washing it I probably wouldn't need to grease it as often.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I adjusted the rubber bump stop on the bottom/handle side of the gate which helped a lot with the rattling.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the input guys, i am going to tinker with it a little and see if it helps.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have one of these too and have never had a problem with it. Love this bumper! maybe some pics of your install and maybe we can see something that might help??

Quick Reply: expedition one rear bumper issue.....help please.