Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Experience with new 4 pinion Eaton E Locker?

Old 12-22-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with new 4 pinion Eaton E Locker?

Does anybody out there have any first hand experience with the newer 4 pinion Eaton E Locker? Or have you witnessed, in person, any down falls of them? I'm really close to shoving one in my rear Dana 44. I would like to stay away from "My brother's, uncle's, cousin's, best friend's, nephew's, dog's second owner once heard of one breaking while grocery shopping..."

Give me the facts you have witnessed in your jeep or seen while wheeling with somebody else's. Will this thing hold up with 4.88 gears, 35/37s, and a sensible driver behind the wheel?
Thanks!
Old 12-22-2014, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JK505
Does anybody out there have any first hand experience with the newer 4 pinion Eaton E Locker? Or have you witnessed, in person, any down falls of them? I'm really close to shoving one in my rear Dana 44. I would like to stay away from "My brother's, uncle's, cousin's, best friend's, nephew's, dog's second owner once heard of one breaking while grocery shopping..."

Give me the facts you have witnessed in your jeep or seen while wheeling with somebody else's. Will this thing hold up with 4.88 gears, 35/37s, and a sensible driver behind the wheel?
Thanks!
I haven't read of any failures on these, but the Eaton has a pretty low install rate vs ARB. I have one in my F150 and the few times I've used it it worked flawlesly.

FWIW, I was disappointed Teraflex dropped the E-Locker option from their CRD60. I want t install one but will have to pony up additional money & time to install a pump, etc. to go that route now. The D60 Elocker is still 2-pinion as I understand it.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Check the other forum. There is a big thread on a problem with the loctite used on the bolts, they apparently came out destroyed the diff. He was sent a replacement, and found the same issue on the bolts on the new locker. So be sure to check and re-loctite if needed.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SoK66
I haven't read of any failures on these, but the Eaton has a pretty low install rate vs ARB. I have one in my F150 and the few times I've used it it worked flawlesly.

FWIW, I was disappointed Teraflex dropped the E-Locker option from their CRD60. I want t install one but will have to pony up additional money & time to install a pump, etc. to go that route now. The D60 Elocker is still 2-pinion as I understand it.
I know ARB is the bee's knees, but the air supply is an issue. I have a 15# co2 tank I keep with me but don't like using it for anything other than tires and air tools if absolutely needed. You have the eaton or ARB in your truck?

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Check the other forum. There is a big thread on a problem with the loctite used on the bolts, they apparently came out destroyed the diff. He was sent a replacement, and found the same issue on the bolts on the new locker. So be sure to check and re-loctite if needed.
Interesting. I'll have to look into this. I'm pretty good about re-torqueing things on my Jeep. How often are we talking about checking? I don't want to be replacing diff oil all the time just to re-torque 4 bolts.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Wanting to know the same about the eaton locker. Subscribed.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by flyerfan033
Wanting to know the same about the eaton locker. Subscribed.
I did do a search but only found info on the 2 pinion design, hope we can get our answer.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Its not an issue of having to get in there and retorque often it was an issue of bad loctite used. Aka it didnt hold. So thats something you would want to make sure was checked before install and good loctite used so that the same didnt happen to you
Old 12-22-2014, 07:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yep, pre-install. Check the bolts as soon as you take it out of the box
Old 12-22-2014, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the old 2 pin in my rear axle and the new 4 pin up front. I've used it a few times and no issues to report.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jrod250
I have the old 2 pin in my rear axle and the new 4 pin up front. I've used it a few times and no issues to report.
Not that it truly matters that much, but what gears do you run?

Quick Reply: Experience with new 4 pinion Eaton E Locker?