Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experienced some death wobble

Old 04-20-2014, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Experienced some death wobble

Experienced death wobble twice this past Thursday and am trying to figure out what exactly is causing it. I have reviewed planman's post about diagnosing death wobble and am in the middle of trying to figure it out. It happened once before an after reviewing his videos I checked my track bar bolts and they didn't seem to be torqued all the way down, so I did that and it didn't happen any more for some time. Well it happened again this past Thursday ( twice actually) and so I've got a friend of mine that is a mechanic checking things out. He looked everything over and said it appears that nothing is worn out. I sent him a link to planman's videos and check list and he is going to check it out.

I've got the northridge4x4 bolt upgrade kit on its way and should be here on Monday. So I'm going to have him go ahead and replace there ack bar bolts.

FYI my JKU is a 2013 and only has about 17,000 miles, has a 2.5 RK max travel lift and running stock wheels/tires riGht now. A couple of questions I have:

1. Can ball joints wear out that fast (see notes on my JKU)?
2. Could just replacing the track bar bolts with the northridge upgrade fix the problem?
3. I'm due for a tire rotation, could that and maybe a tire out of balance or such cause it?
4. If ball joints are good, track bar bolts torqued, tie rod ends good, and such what are some other possibilities?

Thanks. My JKU is my daily driver and I'm finally ready to put my new wheels and 35s on so I am really, really anxious to get this figured out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2014, 04:43 PM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate the DW! I never figured mine out, I hope you are more lucky. Next Jeep I will not do lift - just spacers and flat fenders in order to fit 35s.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAG00
Experienced death wobble twice this past Thursday and am trying to figure out what exactly is causing it. I have reviewed planman's post about diagnosing death wobble and am in the middle of trying to figure it out. It happened once before an after reviewing his videos I checked my track bar bolts and they didn't seem to be torqued all the way down, so I did that and it didn't happen any more for some time. Well it happened again this past Thursday ( twice actually) and so I've got a friend of mine that is a mechanic checking things out. He looked everything over and said it appears that nothing is worn out. I sent him a link to planman's videos and check list and he is going to check it out.

I've got the northridge4x4 bolt upgrade kit on its way and should be here on Monday. So I'm going to have him go ahead and replace there ack bar bolts.

FYI my JKU is a 2013 and only has about 17,000 miles, has a 2.5 RK max travel lift and running stock wheels/tires riGht now. A couple of questions I have:

2. Could just replacing the track bar bolts with the northridge upgrade fix the problem?
3. I'm due for a tire rotation, could that and maybe a tire out of balance or such cause it?
4. If ball joints are good, track bar bolts torqued, tie rod ends good, and such what are some other possibilities?

Thanks. My JKU is my daily driver and I'm finally ready to put my new wheels and 35s on so I am really, really anxious to get this figured out.

1.Ball joints can wear fast, what size tires you have?
2. I doubt it, it may help, but id check trackbar bushings and make sure the holes arent wallowed.
3. Could be a cause also. If your going in might as well have them balance/rotate, and possibly get an alignment.
4. How are your control arm bushings? Also is your caster ok?

I find it best to do as planman said and hold each component while someone steers the wheel fast back and forth. You should feel a clunk so to say in your hand on the part that me be causing it. Also watch closely and see if bushings are giving more than normal.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On my '07, I had DW a while after a 3" lift and found the steering stabilizer leaking. I know people say that by itself will not solve anything, but I put a rancho stabilizer on and never had the problem again.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm battling the same thing. Have a 2012 w/2.5" w/ 33's and have had problems since day one.

I bought new 9/16 bolts that did NOT fit (the threaded portion did - not the unthreaded - so I've ordered new bolts) but I retourqued and still had problem. No ovaling on the trackbar holes at all.

I have done the entire inspection to no avail - everything seemed tight.

Next step is mechanic...
Old 04-21-2014, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Tire out of balance will do it. I had DW two years into my 2" bb when I had my tires rebalanced with powder. Finally resolved the problem with getting them balanced again with weights and using the tire with the most weight as a spare. I suspect the tire dealer, who was unhappy about rebalancing, did a less than accurate job of it. Regardless I have had no wobble in the year since.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:21 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by blw
I hate the DW! I never figured mine out, I hope you are more lucky. Next Jeep I will not do lift - just spacers and flat fenders in order to fit 35s.
Even on a stock rig you can get DW
Old 04-21-2014, 05:22 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by MAG00

We changed our tire type,no more DW
Old 04-25-2014, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

If my track bar bolt holes are off a little (oval), besides welding washers, what front track bar bracket would ya'll suggest? Keep in mind I have a RK 2.5 Max Travel lift on which has the RK front track bar, so it has to fit with this application.

I looked at Synergy front track bar relocation bracket. Will this fit with my application without having to purchase other components to make it fit?
Old 04-25-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have my new wheels now and am in the process of getting new tires 35s. I wonder if it would be a good idea to go ahead and put new HD ball joints in and new tie rod and drag link ends. What would you do?

If so, I would go with the Synergy HD ball joints as they seem to get high marks. What about the drag link and tie rod ends. Any suggestions? Please list manu. and part number if possible. Thanks.

I don't play in the rocks as there aren't many here, although that might change once I get everything done. LOL So I don't know that getting a whole new HD tie rod would be needed now nor do I need to incur that cost right now either.

Really want to fix this DW problem and try to eliminate contributors as well if finances allow.

Quick Reply: Experienced some death wobble