Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

External Lighting vs VA State Inspection

Old 02-02-2017, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default External Lighting vs VA State Inspection

Last year I installed the ET 3/4 Barricade bumper with four led lights (3" round and slots). No problem with my state safety inspection last January, free at the Jeep dealer I purchased the Jeep from in '11. Last spring, I installed a set of black stock bumpers I had trimmed to 1/2" from the outer bend. I left a spot toward the front left and right where I installed 3/4" amber LED lights and did the blinker mod. They were only two-wire unfortunately so they only blinked and didn't come on with the parking or headlights. Last month, she failed her inspection because the lights didn't come on with the other lights so I had to "reinstall" the stock marker lights to get it to pass. My re-inspect is this Saturday, which brings me to the second part... The service advisor informed, OK - reminded me of VA's law about no more than four forward-facing lights being on at a time with the headlights in low beam. Hmmm. With the four bumper lights wired to the stock fog light circuit, that makes six with the headlights! The only option is to have covers on the fog's, or, remove one set for the inspection. Doesn't prevent me from getting stopped by a Trooper looking to give a ticket but it'll get me a sticker for my windshield! And, a new set of three-wire LED marker lights are in my future.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Those lights in the Barricade bumper are for "off-road" use only so if you get a ticket for it then it's because you were running them on the road.

Bear in mind that you and I are in the same area and we take the same roads.....

I ran for a few years with the windshield lights and a light bar on the bumper in addition to my headlights without issue. I was pulled over last year just outside of the school and got a ton of "advice" in place of a ticket. One of the items I was 'educated' on was my lights. I've got covers for them but I choose not to run them. His attention was drawn to my vehicle due to some window tinting....which hasn't been a problem for the last 6 years. He was checking for speeders in the school zone....which I was not doing.

Long and short- pass inspection and then live life on the edge. I do and it's been great for so long. I un-modify my vehicle once a year for inspection then set it back to off-road mode. It hasn't been an issue but then again, I try to keep my nose clean and limit the attention drawn to myself (despite driving an orange vehicle).
Old 02-03-2017, 05:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I un-modify my vehicle once a year for inspection.
The only way my jeep passes inspection every year is with no doors. Window tint is too dark and the county I now live in is a stickler on that vs. some of the other counties. Fortunately it's an easy problem to solve. LOL. In 30 years of driving, I've received 1 ticket for having tint that was too dark. Said ticket cost me $25 and I laughed it off.

Quick Reply: External Lighting vs VA State Inspection