Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front bumper modification question/help

Old 01-30-2017, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front bumper modification question/help

Alright, I am currently running a expedition one full width bumper. I am considering either cutting it down or selling it and buying a poison spider brawler stubby. My question is, what would you do? I like my current bumper because my winch sits down in it, where most of the stubby bumpers the winch sits on top of the bumper. I hate that I would have to use a bracket for the fairlead. The picture with the white marking are the two locations on the bumper is where I am considering cutting it down. I am leaning more to the left side, but don't know if I'll like the high arch. So, that makes the right would look better. The other picture just show the bumper on its current state and the bumper I'm considering. The reason for this is because I want to run tube fenders and don't think they will look good with a full width bumper. None of these pictures are of my Jeep. They are from google and just for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo30.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	665662   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo903.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	574.5 KB
ID:	665663  
Old 01-30-2017, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

The other picture didn't link to it.

Name:	photo23.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	665664  
Old 01-31-2017, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

The main downside to cutting it is going to be that if you mess it up, or you end up not liking it after cutting, you've really devalued the item in regards to resale. I personally don't think having to use the bracket to mount the fairlead vs. being recessed in the bumper looks bad at all.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

I cut mine down last year when I switched to flat fenders and 35's.

Taped it off, cut off wheel, and welded new ends on.

Name:	Front Bumper new-old.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	665678  
Old 02-01-2017, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

If I cut it, selling it wouldn't be a concern. I know what you're saying though. Here is a photo of mine. Anyone else have any more suggestions?
Old 02-01-2017, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Kaptkrappy's winch sits lower than either of the bumper pics you've posted. I'd try to sell it first then go from there. My genright bumper has the winch sitting lower than the exp1. If you're stuck on that bumper then run with it and a sawzall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170107_171149.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	665780

Last edited by karls10jk; 02-01-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the narrower cut and the recessed winch on your bumper vs that PS bumper. If you can weld end plates (caps) on the bumper you have after cutting then I would go that way.

The way I like the cut I see you'll lose your fog lights.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

There are lots of front bumper options out there, one has to have what you're looking for I would think. My buddy is going through this currently as he's ditching the plastic factory fenders which will make the full width bumper look silly. He was talking about cutting it up to make it work, which is not that hard to do. Measure twice, measure again, cut once. At the end of the day, by the time you factor in the time, material, having to refinish the bumper so it doesn't look like it was a chop job, you'd be money ahead buy a new one and sell the old one. Figure the majority of the ones I saw were in the $6-800 range, sell the old one for $3-400 and your delta isn't that bad. You're going to be probably $300 to have the old one sandblasted and powdercoated, crinkle painted, or whatever your finish of choice might be. Then figure out what your time is worth.

I'm all for homemade/custom stuff, but I don't see that benefit in a front bumper that you're cutting down.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jordy
There are lots of front bumper options out there, one has to have what you're looking for I would think. My buddy is going through this currently as he's ditching the plastic factory fenders which will make the full width bumper look silly. He was talking about cutting it up to make it work, which is not that hard to do. Measure twice, measure again, cut once. At the end of the day, by the time you factor in the time, material, having to refinish the bumper so it doesn't look like it was a chop job, you'd be money ahead buy a new one and sell the old one. Figure the majority of the ones I saw were in the $6-800 range, sell the old one for $3-400 and your delta isn't that bad. You're going to be probably $300 to have the old one sandblasted and powdercoated, crinkle painted, or whatever your finish of choice might be. Then figure out what your time is worth.

I'm all for homemade/custom stuff, but I don't see that benefit in a front bumper that you're cutting down.
I already have all the tools and material lying around the shop to not make it look like a chop job. The only problem I would run into would be powdercoating the ends again, and trying to save my fog lights. I don't have a way to heat (oven) that big of an item. The fog lights are the main reason for the PS bumper interest. I believe I may try to sell it first and see how that goes. Out of curiosity, what would you ask? I think I paid in the neighborhood of $1200.00 when I bought it. It's just over a year old. No rust and only one scrap (slid down the fork on a forklift.) on the lower part of it.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky5
I already have all the tools and material lying around the shop to not make it look like a chop job. The only problem I would run into would be powdercoating the ends again, and trying to save my fog lights. I don't have a way to heat (oven) that big of an item. The fog lights are the main reason for the PS bumper interest. I believe I may try to sell it first and see how that goes. Out of curiosity, what would you ask? I think I paid in the neighborhood of $1200.00 when I bought it. It's just over a year old. No rust and only one scrap (slid down the fork on a forklift.) on the lower part of it.
You'll have to powder coat the PS bumper also so that's kind of a wash either way.

Quick Reply: Front bumper modification question/help