Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Or-fab tire carrier/Ace bumper and tire carrier

Old 05-11-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Or-fab tire carrier/Ace bumper and tire carrier

I am getting ready to have my lift installed and will be running some 315X70X17 tires afterwards. I am looking at getting either the or-fab tire carrier or the Ace bumber and tire carrier. I really like the or-fab (with either the gerry can or roto pax option) but it's a tight fit in my garage already so I am concerned on how far the carrier will stick out compared to my current stock tire carrier. Can anyone tell me how far from the tail gate does the or-fab carriers stick out. I know that there is an option for just a carrier with no can/roto pax but without the gerry cans or roto pax, there is really no reason not to go with the bumper/carrier combo listed below.

My next choice is the Ace bumper and tire carrier. I know this just came out on the market so I am wondering if anyone has this installed? If so,

A) what is your thoughts about the quality?
B) have you found a way of mounting your hi lift jack and CB antenna onto the carrier?
C) if you have the hi lift mounted to the carrier, is there any issue with clearance for the hardtop glass window? Last thing I want is it vibrating against the window and causing the window to break.

any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone seems to love the ace products, and for the cost its the most steel for the money hands down. I really like the latch system and the whole thing seems really durable.

Just my opinion, its also one of the ugliest bumpers, sorry fan boys flame away.

The or fab is pretty nice too. I want one as well. Holds the tire cans and hi lift for 600 bucks.

For size, they probably stick out about the same amount. A ten inch wide tire on the back is the bulk of it I'm sure.

Last edited by sa29560; 05-11-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

ace makes some really good stuff, and you can get their rear bumper with tire carrier for around $700. but i too don't really care for the design.

personally i would go with the or fab and then down the road choose whatever rear bumper you want.

and if your concerned with the or fab carrier sticking out just get the one without the jerry can holder. it still holds a hi lift jack and has a mount for a cb antenna.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check out the bestop highrock bumper / carrier, Same price as the ACE but nicer bumper,opens with the tail gate as well.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stefel22
Check out the bestop highrock bumper / carrier, Same price as the ACE but nicer bumper,opens with the tail gate as well.
Great suggestion stefel22,

I recall seeing another thread about this bumper. Very nice indeed, and at a good price. Doesn't look like a beam with slanted ends bolted to the back of your jeep either
Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks ,Its great the tips you pick up on this forum, I was all ready to buy the teraflex carrier till I saw the price, then I came upon the same thread that you mentioned , Just ordered mine yesterday, cant wait to get my spare back on
Old 05-11-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default highrock bumper

I was looking at this one but I have read several threads talking about the hi lift jack mount location and how close it is to the rear window.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

we are looking at doing some expedition style traveling and the or-fab looks ideal with the can/roto option for gas and water storage (help save space for other thing inside the jeep). I agree about the concern for the cutting into the sheet metal but when you think of all the scratches and dents and other damage done during off roading, I figure that my cutting isn't really all that different. From the looks of pictures of the or-fab it appears that it would be about 12 - 18 inchs plus the size of my spare. If the can/roto version isn't going to work for me, then it's not worth considering the non can/roto version since I can get a bumper and carrier combo for just a little more. I am really curious how the hi lift mounts to the Ace bumper and carrier combo and how close it it sits to the hard top rear glass window.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Orfab w/jerry cans and some rubicon takeoffs. It measures almost 2 feet from the tailgate to the end of the t-handle, that measurement will vary with the wheel/tire combo though. I have no complaints on its quality or usefullness, so far it's my favorite mod.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

just wanted to say thank you for all of your thoughts and input on this. It appears that the limited space of my garage is going to make me exclude the or-fab carrier and go with the ace bumper and carrier. We are going to some jeep shows in July and Aug. over in PA so I am hoping that Ace will have a vendor area and I can look at the bumper up close and maybe pick one up at the show (and if they offer a show discount that would be a nice bonus...lol)

Quick Reply: Or-fab tire carrier/Ace bumper and tire carrier