Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OR-FAB tire carrier and Hi-Lift?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberpunk
Glad I found this thread. I installed my Or-Fab tire carrier last week and am a bit disappointed.

Have a couple of questions.

1. How did you guys get the reinforcing bolts on the back of the tailgate hinges? I can't for the life of me figure it out.

2. Has anyone got corner protection installed after the carrier without major modifications? I really wanted the Warrior corners but I don't think they'll work now.

3. I didn't know the Hi-Lift could mount to the carrier, I just ordered the hood mounts from Warrior. Now I may get to return them and get a second jerry can instead.
1. You can reach the reinforcing bolts by reaching up from underneath the open space below the passenger side quarter panel (where you removed the foam piece). A deep socket and extension help along with long arms.

2. The carrier mounts in the same position as the stock hinges so I don't think there would be any interference with aftermarket corner protection panels.

3. The Or-Fab tire carrier has four threaded holes in the back of the carrier rack. You can use bolts or threaded studs to mount a High-lift jack, jerry cans, shovel, or whatever you want.

Last edited by river2c; 11-17-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed the tire carrier last week. Getting holes drilled and lined up was a bit tricky, but I got it done. It's amazingly strong and holds the tire well. The left catch metal block is a bit higher than the carrier and I need to give the carrier a little lift to close, but once closed it's solid. I may grind it a bit to allow the carrier to close a little easier. I'm also getting a weird rattle from inside the right rear tail light area...I haven't had time to take out the light and check things, but from the outside and inside everything is super tight.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Those are about the kind of jerry cans I plan on going with; how much did you trim down the threads? Also, what bolts/hardware did you use to secure the hi-lift to the top? I just picked up a 60" Hi-Lift and was going to mount it on the top, but wasn't sure how exactly to go about it to make sure it wouldn't fall off or get stolen?
I didn't have to trim the all thread at all...
The high lift is secured with a couple of bolts and washers... if you still have the instructions handy the specific bolt sizing is listed on page 9.. If you no longer have the paper instructions OR-FAB offers the instructions in PDF on their site.

Glad I found this thread. I installed my Or-Fab tire carrier last week and am a bit disappointed.

1. How did you guys get the reinforcing bolts on the back of the tailgate hinges? I can't for the life of me figure it out.

2. Has anyone got corner protection installed after the carrier without major modifications? I really wanted the Warrior corners but I don't think they'll work now.

3. I didn't know the Hi-Lift could mount to the carrier, I just ordered the hood mounts from Warrior. Now I may get to return them and get a second jerry can instead.
The answer to #2 is yes one of our local So Cal guys has the non-can version and OFFROAD EVOLUTION rear corners.... That is the same thing I plan on doing.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:42 AM
JK Jedi

Just like river2c said earlier, if you took the foam padding out from behind the passenger side tail light, you can stick your hand up from behind the rear tire up through the opening where the foam padding sits and reach in there. It's a PITA to do especially when you have to try and feel around the entire time and getting a socket and wrench in there couldn't be any harder, but that's the way.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by serveapurpose
I didn't have to trim the all thread at all...
The high lift is secured with a couple of bolts and washers... if you still have the instructions handy the specific bolt sizing is listed on page 9.. If you no longer have the paper instructions OR-FAB offers the instructions in PDF on their site.

The answer to #2 is yes one of our local So Cal guys has the non-can version and OFFROAD EVOLUTION rear corners.... That is the same thing I plan on doing.
Found it!! Thanks Now to see if I can find some threaded rods in that size kinda like the one they offer to hold the Jerry Can up. I like the idea of having wingnuts rather than needing a socket to bolt it down. Neither case though, seems to offer a way to actually lock the hilift without using bike chain locks though that I can see.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

To secure my Hilift I am going to weld a stud to the carrier and use a lock lugnut to keep a person honest. as of right now I have two bolts holding it on and with all the wheeling I have done in URE it has impressed me alot. I have the one for the Jerry Cans but Plan on making a bracket for some camping gear to go there being I don't do a lot of wheeling out in BFE.. I don't think I need the extra 10gals. of Gas.or 5 of gas and 5 of water...
Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

I love my or-fab!

Had it a few months now!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

This bumper has been on my list for well over a year now, and I'm finally treating myself for Christmas.

Big question is Jerry Can vs. No Can. Has anyone installed the can version and regretted it? I don't "need" the cans, but can't see why I wouldn't want them.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:45 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by MileHighAko
This bumper has been on my list for well over a year now, and I'm finally treating myself for Christmas.

Big question is Jerry Can vs. No Can. Has anyone installed the can version and regretted it? I don't "need" the cans, but can't see why I wouldn't want them.
Well, not sure if this'll influence your decision any but he Jerry can version is a little cheaper (about $15 if I remember right) and you'd have the ability to carry the cans later if you needed to or use that space to store something else. No regrets here yet; other than a PITA install which really is something you have to cope with once
Old 12-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MileHighAko

Nope. If you keep your Jeep in your garage, and you want a Stinger on the front (like me) as well. Then space may get a little tight. I can get my the stinger, but casual walked with groceries is out.

It's a great rack! For more install tips go here (the tricks I found are on page 9): https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ighlight=orfab

Last edited by Foo; 12-12-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: OR-FAB tire carrier and Hi-Lift?