Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Factory Rake - Any real advantages?

Old 09-02-2010, 03:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

level it so when you put the bumper and winch on it has the rake?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:14 AM
JK Junkie

The only reason to do a leveling to change vehicle performance would be to correct for oversteer. If you are experiencing loose conditions, where the rear tires slide out first going around a turn, a leveling kit will transfer more weight to the rear tires and in essence, make your vehicle safer. If you aren't experiencing oversteer, a leveling kit is only cosmetic and could introduce understeer or plowing of the front tires making your vehicle harder to turn.

Myself, I am pretty partial to a very slightly loose to neutral vehicle and have been able to deal with handling issues via modest air pressure adjustments.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:38 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Yep. My hood danced all over the place before I ever put a lift on it. I'd also add that towing also pushes down the rear end, so the rake helps with that, too. If you're carrying a heavy load/tongue weight at night, you'll know if you eliminated the rake because you'll be "brighted" more frequently.
There is always going to be negative pressure over the hood and Chrysler somewhat addressed the dancing hood with new hood latches. Lessening the rake enhances the fluttering hood, but it's an issue that comes from flawed parts and wasn't a design element to correct an issue.

Additionally and as Mark suggested , place 500lbs of payload over the back wheels and watch the rake disappear. This keeps the JK handling aspects above neutral and without excessive understeer. With over 20 various manufacturer springs available dependent on model and accessories, and hard pressed to attain favorable EPA milage ratings, it's pretty clear the designed in rake is for aero purposes and loaded to maintain proper handling characteristics.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

I leveled mine because I like the look of a level vehicle better, so yes for me it was purely cosmetics.

Quick Reply: Factory Rake - Any real advantages?