Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few Questions with First Build

Old 02-12-2019, 11:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Be very aware that you could get bit by the rock crawling bug!

I see your in South Carolina.....trust me you want to at least go with 5.13 gears.
If you ever start going to Gulches Off Road Park there or AOP in South Pittsburg
Tennessee, Harlan Kentucky, and so one then my thought is you can never gear
to low....Most of the guys around here in Georgia go with 5.38 gears.

Last edited by JKUsport16; 02-12-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did see that the Currie lift does net more than 4”. I’m not dead set on the Currie lift. What other lifts should I look at? I was also looking at the AEV 3.5”. That way I don’t have to worry about the driveshaft as much.

only thing I am set on is the 37s. I bought them since they had a good deal going on 4 wheel parts last month.

ill probably do 5.13s then because I’m pretty close to the Gulches here in SC and that’s probably where I will go most times.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by IBEWRubicon
I did see that the Currie lift does net more than 4”. I’m not dead set on the Currie lift. What other lifts should I look at? I was also looking at the AEV 3.5”. That way I don’t have to worry about the driveshaft as much.

only thing I am set on is the 37s. I bought them since they had a good deal going on 4 wheel parts last month.

ill probably do 5.13s then because I’m pretty close to the Gulches here in SC and that’s probably where I will go most times.
Metalcloak lift kits get a lot of love. There's a dude on youtube who has installed their kit in detail, I'll see if I can find a link. I went with a Rock Krawler long arm kit (I'm also a fan of going overboard), I got their 2.5" kit which netted me over 3.5" on my relatively light 2 door. If I were to do it again I'd probably go with Metalcloak, their Duroflex joints look absolutely perfect for how I use my Jeep. I'm actually considering modifying my RK arms to fit their joints. One of the things you'll notice as you slide down the rabbit hole is that the term "lift kit" is just what they call it when they pick a handful of components for you and sell them in a bundle. It's a good place to start, but don't be afraid to assess how your Jeep performs for you and add or swap components for the features and functionality you want.

I agree, 37s are awesome. The difference from the stock Rubicon tires and 37s, or 35s to be honest, is huge.

I did 5.13s with my 37s. It's definitely on the lower end of the gearing but the Jeep moves when I ask it to and with the Rubicon transfer case it's delightful off road. You do sacrifice some at higher speeds but that just keeps me closer to the speed limit so I welcome it.

Here's the Metalcloak install:
Old 02-13-2019, 07:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by JKUsport16
Be very aware that you could get bit by the rock crawling bug!

I see your in South Carolina.....trust me you want to at least go with 5.13 gears.
If you ever start going to Gulches Off Road Park there or AOP in South Pittsburg
Tennessee, Harlan Kentucky, and so one then my thought is you can never gear
to low....Most of the guys around here in Georgia go with 5.38 gears.
I'd say that was totally true with the 3.8L, but with the 3.6L 5.13 and 37s is pretty dang aggressive. I run 3k or more at interstate speeds, and that gets to be a drag. Considering OP has a 4:1 TC, they're gonna have all the offroad crawl they could ever want even with 4.88, but the 4.88 will be more appropriate on the pavement. Not to step on toes or anything. I had to lean to 5.13s to get that offroad benefit given my wimpy Sport TC.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You could also consider the Teraflex high angle rxeppa joint for the factory shaft, but it's likely you'd really just want the extra clearance an aftermarket shaft is going to provide. With 3" of lift, it's just a matter of time till the TC side boot rips. I've seen it happen on a 2.5" budget boost lift that only ever left the pavement twice. It's just one of those things.

IDK if you read through that other thread or not. I don't blame you for being set on 37s. There's nothing wrong with building for that. It's just best to know what you're up against so you think through everything. In my opinion, 37s are the point a full set of control arms starts to really come in to play.....in front so you can dial in that caster, and in the rear cuz the axle ideally gets pushed back a bit. 37" tire really creeps forward in the wheel well and starts to look funny IMO. Nothing says you have to buy everything from one kit, but sometimes it's easier. I have Metalcloak control arms. I can't say enough good things about em. I do remove mine about every 18 months to re-grease the joints, but would much rather do that vs. hitting grease zerks. Some people don't even bother.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
I did 5.13s with my 37s. It's definitely on the lower end of the gearing but the Jeep moves when I ask it to and with the Rubicon transfer case it's delightful off road. You do sacrifice some at higher speeds but that just keeps me closer to the speed limit so I welcome it.
Would you agree that you run about 3k RPM on the interstate as well?

This is one of those subjective things depending on specific use. I'd prefer 4.88 for myself if I had the TC benefit. OP might want to force the jeep into lower gear and drive around with the engine running that high RPM for a bit, just to see if it's too much or not for them. Also kinda depends on offroad use too. The original post did note not getting in to heavy rock crawling.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Would you agree that you run about 3k RPM on the interstate as well?

This is one of those subjective things depending on specific use. I'd prefer 4.88 for myself if I had the TC benefit. OP might want to force the jeep into lower gear and drive around with the engine running that high RPM for a bit, just to see if it's too much or not for them. Also kinda depends on offroad use too. The original post did note not getting in to heavy rock crawling.
Yes, I think I'm just below 3k at highway speeds. I'm not necessarily endorsing 5.13, it's just what I guessed at and went with based on what I want from my jeep. The places where the 5.13s and 4:1 TC shine are most definitely on the challenging, steep rocky trails. Even more so with the 6 speed and no torque converter to mitigate those low rotational moments. It's not quite as unstoppable as the stock gearing and 32s, which would turn the wheels if I stood on the brakes, but I think that's because the power output is now scaled down relative to the gears and tires. If those situations aren't an issue, 4.88 is probably the way to go to maintain more road manners. Or go 5.38 and make it like a dump truck, there's fun to be had at every ratio! I had a buddy with a TJ, don't know what gears he had but he'd get through all of them on his way up to 35 mph. That was a fun rig.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I'll state the obvious here.......if you do a truss, get the corresponding raised TB bracket since you'll want to do a high steer kit at the height you're looking.

Another random bit of advice. Since you'll be looking at steering upgrades, you might find this thread an interesting read through for a nice tie rod and drag link option -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ie-rod-346539/
Old 02-13-2019, 09:57 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If we are in the running on shocks, get them after March 1st.

So this is my first time doing any type of build with any type of vehicle. Here's a little background. My Jeep is a '16 JKU Rubicon. My plan is to do a 4" Currie lift on 37" Goodyear MTRs. This is my DD but I would like to travel around and run trails maybe once a month or so. I wouldn't be going hard when I'm off roading, on a scale of 1 to 5 on how hard I would go would probably just be a 3. Not going to do any intense rock crawling or anything.

1. There are 2 types of kits that I'm looking at on the Currie website. I was planning to buy the Rancho 9500xl shocks with either kit. Once includes the upper controls arms with the lower. The other just has the lower control arms. My question is for what I plan to do, are the upper control arms necessary or will stock ones be ok? It's about $800 more for the kit to include UCAs. Also read that people use stock but use some type of correction brackets. Can I even just get the UCAs later?

https://www.currieenterprises.com/ce...pension-system (HAS UCAs)

https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-9807S (NO UCAs)

2. Obviously gearing will be done but does 4.88 gears sound right? I've read people mostly use that set. I've seen 4.56 and 5.13 as well. Mostly in town driving at 55mph zones.

3. Is there any other types of upgrades that need to be done with a set up like this? I was told steering by the Currie representative but said I should be good other than that. I am reinforcing the axles with axle truss and doing c gussets. Some say sleeving isn't worth it, but should i just do it anyway?

If there's any other info you guys need from me just let me know. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2019, 06:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I apologize that my posts might seem like random thoughts and aren't a nice concise single post that summarized everything there is. Unfortunately, there's just so much that goes in to a build like this that there is a ton to consider. I was sitting around tonight, and randomly thought about another issue you're probably gonna run in to. To do the lift you want, you're likely going to want to outboard the front axle shock mounts. You can do this with some brackets. Metalcloak has some nice ones that have an updated design. Their old style brackets totally twisted my factory shock mount, which ended in me chopping off the shock and control arm mounts and welding on new 1/4" artec shock and control arm mounts, to match my artec gussets and truss. Unfortunately, the gussets prevented me from outboarding the new shock mounts enough, so I STILL had to use the MC brackets, although the new shock mounts were too thick to mount the bracket on....which made me have to chop one side off the MC bracket and simply weld it to the artec shock mount. I have a lot of work in to a built rubicon D44 front.....smh, and it's still nothing compared to a PR44 or similar aftermarket with some decent tubes and a good locker. Anyhow, I've been down this road. These are the types of things you'll run in to. You may ask why you need to outboard those shocks to begin with...........you're likely to rub the shock bodies on the frame rail if you do any offroading.

If you're set on doing the truss, you may as well just build that axle up with 1/4" shock and control arm brackets as well while you're doing the truss, gussets, and ball joints. Just be done with it in it's entirety outside of regearing. If you're going to regear yourself, just do it at the same time too while it's out from under the jeep.

Quick Reply: Few Questions with First Build