Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finalize my rim and tire setup help

Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finalize my wheel and tire setup help

Hey Guys...just want some advice/information while I finalize what I want and what I want to get done. Been doing a lot of reading recently but nothing like trying to nitpick the final questions. This is my DD. I do about 75 miles a day. I would like a more aggressive tire but don't want to sacrifice too much tread life (thus why I mentioned quite a few AT but have heard the Toyo MT are good on the road too...noise doesn't bother me). Live in Jersey so need year round with chance of snow. Will offroad maybe 12 times a year.

Ok, I have finally decided I want to go with a 17inch rim and a 33 inch tire (275/70r17 or maybe a 285/70r17).
Tire options I have narrowed to:
Toyo AT or Toyo MT
Duratracs
Cooper AT
Falken Wild country

Wheels I am leaning towards:
MB72
Procomp 7089 or 7005
XD Addicts

Any suggestions on the above? Also, I was considering getting TPMS, but at this point may just opt not to get them and shut the TPMS off with the Procal.
Also, any backspacers needed here or not? Don't want to stick out past the fenders really.

Bigger question as well for me is should I consider a leveling kit or perhaps a 2 or 2.5 inch lift kit like the RC 2.5 coil suspension lift with 2.2 shocks (or maybe the rancho 2 inch). Also anticipate if I go with a 2.5 inch lift to go with a steering stabalizer and exhaust extension. I do not plan on going with 35's, and if I ever do, it will be a few years down the road (4 plus years).

Thanks guys. Know it is a bit drawn out but want to get it done right.....and quite frankly I feel a bit more comfortable getting the right answer here than at a shop.

Last edited by joey0480; 01-14-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by joey0480
Hey Guys...just want some advice/information while I finalize what I want and what I want to get done. Been doing a lot of reading recently but nothing like trying to nitpick the final questions. This is my DD. I do about 75 miles a day. I would like a more aggressive tire but don't want to sacrifice too much tread life (thus why I mentioned quite a few AT but have heard the Toyo MT are good on the road too...noise doesn't bother me). Live in Jersey so need year round with chance of snow. Will offroad maybe 12 times a year.

Ok, I have finally decided I want to go with a 17inch rim and a 33 inch tire (275/70r17 or maybe a 285/70r17).
Tire options I have narrowed to:
Toyo AT or Toyo MT
Duratracs
Cooper AT
Falken Wild country

Rims I am leaning towards:
MB72
Procomp 7089 or 7005
XD Addicts

Any suggestions on the above? Also, I was considering getting TPMS, but at this point may just opt not to get them and shut the TPMS off with the Procal.
Also, any backspacers needed here or not? Don't want to stick out past the fenders really.

Bigger question as well for me is should I consider a leveling kit or perhaps a 2 or 2.5 inch lift kit like the RC 2.5 coil suspension lift with 2.2 shocks (or maybe the rancho 2 inch). Also anticipate if I go with a 2.5 inch lift to go with a steering stabalizer and exhaust extension. I do not plan on going with 35's, and if I ever do, it will be a few years down the road (4 plus years).

Thanks guys. Know it is a bit drawn out but want to get it done right.....and quite frankly I feel a bit more comfortable getting the right answer here than at a shop.

We have a 2008 JKUR with 285/70R17 BF AT. They work good as expected. Low road noise. decent handling on the pavement (haven't had it off the road as of yet, only had it about 2 weeks). At full lock they rub the inner fender a bit so we will be doing a 2" spacer lift to help.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

What's your budget? I just bought a set of fierce attitudes, beautifully priced and they look great! Can't comment on how they perform as I have only had them a few days and it's only seen pavement, but they have gotten great reviews...
As far as the lift I ran rough country on my tj and had no complaints, however they have received alot of negative feedback but for someone who's on a budget I think they provide a great kit
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cam36
What's your budget? I just bought a set of fierce attitudes, beautifully priced and they look great! Can't comment on how they perform as I have only had them a few days and it's only seen pavement, but they have gotten great reviews...
As far as the lift I ran rough country on my tj and had no complaints, however they have received alot of negative feedback but for someone who's on a budget I think they provide a great kit
Well I am ballparking 150 a rim X 5 = 750
For tires I figure 250 - 275 a tire = 1375
Puts me around 2K for rims and tires but who knows, maybe can get a better deal.
Budgeting aroudn 2500 - 3K for this venture.

I just don't want to go over the top if I don't need it nor do I want to cut corners. I have a local shop near me which I will probably order the tires/rims through and get them to put on a lift or leveling kit.

BTW...another reason I am going with 33's is the 3.21 gearing.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by joey0480

Well I am ballparking 150 a rim X 5 = 750
For tires I figure 250 - 275 a tire = 1375
Puts me around 2K for rims and tires but who knows, maybe can get a better deal.
Budgeting aroudn 2500 - 3K for this venture.

I just don't want to go over the top if I don't need it nor do I want to cut corners. I have a local shop near me which I will probably order the tires/rims through and get them to put on a lift or leveling kit.

BTW...another reason I am going with 33's is the 3.21 gearing.
That was my budget too, I have a '12 6speed with 35s and it's definitely tolerable...much better than my 06 6speed on 33s with 3.07s! I am however re-gearing to 4.56s at te end of the month but anyways back to the tire/wheel decision I was on the same budget, I wound up getting procomp 7069s from my job for 120 a wheel, and fierce attitude 35/12.5/17 from discount tire for 240 a tire so with the 33s you're looking for you may be able to squeeze a better deal on the tires end! Good luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cam36
That was my budget too, I have a '12 6speed with 35s and it's definitely tolerable...much better than my 06 6speed on 33s with 3.07s! I am however re-gearing to 4.56s at te end of the month but anyways back to the tire/wheel decision I was on the same budget, I wound up getting procomp 7069s from my job for 120 a wheel, and fierce attitude 35/12.5/17 from discount tire for 240 a tire so with the 33s you're looking for you may be able to squeeze a better deal on the tires end! Good luck!
Sounds like good pricing. I am just thinking of going with a leveling kit since I won't be running 35s....just up in the air
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

just looking for a few more opinions
Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Addicts and Duratracs for what you want. Of what you have listed that's what I would go with.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

well i think all in all I am going to go with a teraflex leveling kit and tack on either the duratracs or toyos (possibly still coopers). Gonna lean towards a 285/70r17 though a 295/70r16 sounds nice
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

Rimzzz Yooo?

Quick Reply: Finalize my rim and tire setup help