Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Finally have my entire list. Please tell me what I forgot and answer a question.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Datman
I'm building my bad as& jeep so I'm prepared for the zombie attack. You need lift and a good solid bumper for those zombies....
X2

Big pissed off bumper- check
Lift-check
Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
Save money get a buget boost and do the rest if your just doing it for looks
The reason I said this is;
1. Why buy a premium lift if you don't plan on wheeling it.
2. Many of those parts can be replaced with cheaper parts. Smitty built for warn. Its 500 bucks cheaper and if you don't plan on useing it why buy it high priced.
3. Your just going for looks not off road functionabily.

Personaly I don't care what you do with your JK. I have a lot of money in mine and use it. A friend of mine has a rubi all fixed up and it has never seen a fire road.
To each his own. Iam not a hater iam just saying build it for how you are going to use it. You can put 26 inch rims with low profile tires for all I care. If you want the look it can be done for less money than what you are looking at.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

OP, I didn't see where you responded to this so sorry if I'm repeating.

Get the Rubi.

Few reasons:
1. If you're honestly planning on keeping the Jeep for it's life... that's a long time to wish you didn't go all out if your idea of what you want changes down the line.
2. If you're not going to wheel hard, you won't be replacing the upgraded parts on the Rubi to handle 40"+ tires and large boulders etc.
3. With that long list of mods, think of owning a Rubicon as buying a handful of mods right off that bat (i.e. sway bar disconnects, locking differential...).

I have a '12 Rubi so maybe I'm partial. It's still stock, except for some evo skids, and I have wheeled it. It's even manual trans, but so easily handles obstacles that you can do some light wheeling and still be able to keep the Jeep pristine for decades.

Again, the lifetime of a vehicle is a long time to plan for. Any Jeep is a Jeep and cooler than cool so

-----------

crap, first line, you 'ordered'. forget I said anything.

Last edited by Kick Forward; 01-10-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

[QUOTE=kneeman;2777063]I ordered a Silver Sahara JKU last week. Manual shift, heated seats, painted dual top.

I have spent 2 months reading and searching each night about mods. I complied my list. I have 1-2 decisions in there and would love your opinion.

fyi, This will not be a rock crawler or a weekend warrior vehicle, more of a mall crawler. This will be stored in my basement garaged and only driven on nice days (no making fun of me). I have wanted a nice Jeep since high school and can finally afford to have one as a second vehicle, plan on keeping it forever and keeping it looking excellent!!!
--------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I just read throught this entire thread and I only have one question for the OP. What were the 1-2 decisions in there that you would love an opinion on?
Sounds like a nice build, outta my budget, but a nice build. You may think you'll keep in on-road, but the bug will bite you eventually. I think that a lot of us build for the trails but spend the majority of our time using our rigs as DD's. It is what it is. I live in Illinois, it's not like I have a mountain range in my back yard, however I do my best to get to the ORV parks when I can and I drive it as hard as I'm comfortable and capable. If I brake it I fix it...better, a risk I accept when I go off road.
My only recommendation is do as many of the mods you can on your own or with friends. You will enjoy it so much more when you can say, "Yeah, I did that"
Old 01-10-2012, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kick Forward
crap, first line, you 'ordered'. forget I said anything.
Doesnt mean he couldnt ditch that order unless he put a deposit on it, does it? my dealer didnt ask for a deposit and said I had no commitment with them when it came in.

Either way, to the OP...I agree with what kick forward said about getting a rubi. You'd be better prepared down the road for mods and have a very capable rig out of the box. GL with the build!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely build what you want - but I think the advise about considering a Rubicon is valid if it's possible and can be configured how you want it. If you're keeping it "for life" or a really long time then may as well get it setup from the factory with everything it can be.

Quick Reply: Finally have my entire list. Please tell me what I forgot and answer a question.