Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fire Extinguisher

Old 09-17-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasruby
I still think an on board suppression system sounds cool!
That's what I keep throwing around yes it's alittle expensive but, you can get the agent where it is needed without poping the hood. And it's rechargable and hidden. They make both manual and electronic (pre set temp) systems. And nobody has done it yet!! well atleast not on a JK. They use it in racing, Industrial equipment, etc.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

ok..THIS IS JUST MY OPION....

been a vol. fire fighter for years. dry cem works great and is what we use in most situations. you can put out a fully involved car fire with a 20lb exstinguisher (car not tractor trailor). unless there are magnisium parts (usually engine blocks or stearing colums) then you want to use another type of dry cem called purple K.

again it's just an opion and how we do it at my hometown dept. but like someone said ealier take away 1 of fires eliments and its gone...it's up to you how you do it.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

well im gonna shop around for one and see what i can come up with
thanx again guys........70's sports car?
Old 09-18-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Halotron in my cars.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just picked up a new Ansul 5# puple K extinguishers at the local shop for $69.55, now to make a bracket to mount it to the Jeep.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:01 PM
JK Freak

I am not sure if you have this option but I work at a plant and I went to the safety manager and asked him to get me a extinguisher for cheap.He is getting me a 2.5 pound ABC with a bracket for $31.31 that is a pretty good price.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X 2 on the irratant. I had to use a fire extinguisher to put out a small fire in my HMMWV during a training exercise (Purple K with an ABC rating) and it did a great job of puttng out the fire in just a few seconds........spent the next 30 min puking, found out later from one of our medics its a compulsary reaction to some of the chemicals in it.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:20 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JulianK
I've found that unless you have an Italian car from the 70's, these days there's not much need for an extinguisher.
Originally Posted by bly109
Im not as worried about my jeep catching on fire, as I am about dry leaves or brush from my exhaust.
You just cannot be sure. I was on the trail with several other Jeeps last month. One of them was a well maintained TJ and it started on fire. Turned out on the last obstacle he pulled off a steering fluid hose partially. The fluid got on the engine and started a fire. My ABC put it out easily before it could become an inferno.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

hey guys- coming from a fire fighter... there is no need for anything covering a CLASS D ( hence it is for metals). An ABC that you can pick up from a local Kmart would more then suffice for situations which we could incure from havin fun in the woods! "B" is for flammable liquids such as gas or oil and "C" is for anything electrical... The "A" would be for normal combustable like wood or paper, etc. (all 3 of those would be the worst we could have happen while playin in the mud!) That being said- anything more would be a waste of $$$. If its that bad- get the hell away and call 911!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Fire
That's mine concern the electrical both stock and aftermarket hence the Halon extiguisher. I understand that a fire in any vehicle is not good but quick extinguishment could lessen damage and Halon will provide a quicker knock down than a dry powder extinguisher.
dont forget that a Halon extinguisher is more expensive to refill. I picked up a used ABC extinguisher for 20 bucks at my local extinguisher refill and sales shop. And it was practically brand new. Costs me 8 bucks to refill anytime

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher