Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First major purchase - Lift Kit or Winch?

Old 07-18-2012, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WVBoard
Im new here and dont want to rub people the wrong way...yet

But 9 out of 10 people never really use their winch. Its just a big hood ornament for most.
you either offroad in the desert or have not been off road yet. A winch is used quite often if you dare to challenge yourself and your rig once in a while.
you can have the highest lift manufactured but without diff clearance it doesn't mean much. You'll most likely still get hung up on a rock or a tree stump or something.
Get the winch, it'll save your ass more often than your lift.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it depends on if you wheel mainly by your self or with others. The lift will get you over stuff a lot better then stock and your jeep will look better. Then if you do get stuck and you are with others, somebody will most likely have a winch or you could use recovery straps.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Che
JK Newbie

I went with the winch before my lift ! Definitely not an ornament !
Old 07-18-2012, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default lift

I vote for lift and recovery straps! Works great for me
Old 07-18-2012, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snakeyes76
you either offroad in the desert or have not been off road yet. A winch is used quite often if you dare to challenge yourself and your rig once in a while.
you can have the highest lift manufactured but without diff clearance it doesn't mean much. You'll most likely still get hung up on a rock or a tree stump or something.
Get the winch, it'll save your ass more often than your lift.
There are plenty of challenges in the desert if you dare to go to where they are.

We try to never wheel alone out here but even if you are in a group it's good to have a winch cuz sometime there is just not enough room to get another jeep in position when there is a problem.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default Winch it is!

Sounds like the overwhelming support is for the winch. (Except for the TeraFlex guy! HA) I am alone a lot so that is a big consideration.

In South Arkansas we have a lot of logging trails with significant ruts that only an insanely lifted vehicle could pass though. So far I've been able to take proper lines and not get stuck. This past time, however, was after the rain and the mud was that thick stuff you just sink into. We had actually gone in to pull my daughter's 4-wheeler out. After we did my wife said, "Think I could make it through in the Jeep?" We all know how that ended.

As far as never getting stuck goes, some fellow Jeep guys were laughing at me at work the following Monday because I got stuck. One guy said he never-ever got stuck in his Jeep. My only thought to that for those that live around here is you either avoid the mud and heavy trails altogether or stay on the street. I bought the Jeep to drive it, not baby it!

There's a lot of great advice from all of you on this, I appreciate the participation in my first question! Hopefully it will help others thinking the same thing.

Does anyone have experience with the Quadratec winch, or know of a thread that discusses it?

Oh, and TeraFlex, you could convince me to go "lift first" with a great deal!

Have fun out there!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dshailey
To answer some questions:

I'm constantly working somewhere outside on our property. I think the winch would come in handy during those times as well.

This is a very good point . I think of my Jeep has a multipurpose tool. I keep a good toolkit, my air compressor, winch, jacks, towropes, etc always in the Jeep. Almost every week I'll be away from the house and pulling something out of the jeep to help someone out or aid in a job.

I've used the winch several times to remove stumps and am going to be moving a shed with it this weekend. Even used it to raise the mast on my Sailboat last year!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobbyspaghetti
Thanks dshailey that was a good day. Broke about $500 worth of stuff including the winch fair lead but I had tools and had a great time just me and the dog. I laugh at the ARB locker comment cause I sure don't find me winching less now that I have a ARB locker. Must be different mud cause in 1' of mud where I live it doesn't matter how many tires are spinning if 90% of your vehicle weight is on your axle tubes on top of the mud. However gator muck does sound a little thinner then what we have here. However gator muck also sounds like the kind of stuff that leaks in your door seals. Either way sounds like a great time. Lots of good info here for the OP though. I still say winch but I do half agree with Teraflex. So get a winch first and then get a lift. However there really is no mistakes 'cause every time I go out I have a blast because I am in a JEEP.
Yeah it's all pretty much a specific situations. My arbs also require the lift and the tires for dig out. And obviously a bit of chugging to push through. I agree the winch is highly important but if you have nothing to strap to, kind of useless. Again, it's all about different situations (kind of like luck of the draw). I will tell you this however; my hi-lift has got me out of 2 crappy situations where my cable wouldn't reach.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

FYI....The people on this site are the 1% that would possibly need a winch.

Ide be willing to bet that if you looked at 9 out of 10 jeeps you see on the road with a winch you would see that the cable hasent even been unspooled except for the first few weeks until the novelty wears off or to show it to their buddies.

That said, I have owned 6 different jeeps over the years and never had or needed a winch on any of them. Ide spend my money on lift anyday before a winch. Ive been stuck in situations from WV mud to OBX sand and my 60$ high lift and a couple of straps have always gotten me out.

It always amazes me that people think that a winch is what they "need". When in reality they only really need a high lift to move then a few feet to solid ground.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	343010

We had the Hi Lift in the back but it didn't even occur to us to use it when we could just use the winch and be out in a minute. BTW, my husband drove it like he stole it on the way out and didn't get stuck so I guess that means I need to work on my boggin' skills. This was outside of Savannah so I think it qualifies as gator muck. I do love my Jeep.

Quick Reply: First major purchase - Lift Kit or Winch?