Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flighty Steering After Lift

Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flighty Steering After Lift

Hi To Everyone Stateside, I Have A Diesel Auto Unlimited Wrangler And Since Fitting A 3"lift And 35" Tyres My Steering Is Wandering All Over When Driving In A Straight Line Between 30-60mph. When Im Above This Speed (70+mph) On The Motorway It Doesnt Feel Too Bad. I Cannot Find A Cure And Here Is A List Of What I Have Done Already,
Re Centred Both Axles With Heavy Duty Chassis Relocation Brackets, Checked The Tracking Is Toe In Very Slightly, Checked All Track Bar Fixings And Bushes, Set Caster To 8 Degrees, Tried Adjusting Tyre Pressures, Found The Higher They Are The Better The Steering Is But Im At 50psi And The Ride Is Very Hard. Im Running 35 12.50 X16 Cooper Stt Tyres On Cragar Soft 8 S With 5" Backspacing. Fitted Skyjacker Steering Damper. Im Used To The Wandering But I Dare Not Let Gf Drive My Jk, Please Help, Someone! Many Thanks, Ps Forgot To Say When Im Cornering At Any Speed The Steering Is Perfect Its Just When Im Driving Straight.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

I am experiencing the same problem. I have a Full Traction 2" and it likes to wander. however I am running stock rims and tires still so that may be the problem. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 AM
JK Super Freak

you may have thrown a weight off one of the tires if you were taking her off road. it seems like you went through everything pretty throughly. i had a similar problem and i had thrown a weight off my tire. it was ok at low speeds but when i would go over 35 you could feel it. i would maybe also get a front end alignment. after doing a lift like you did. other than that not sure what else it could be. keep us posted.

i also remember someone on here had to re adjust there steering wheel after doing a lift because it was not centered and the computer thought the jeep was turning more than it was and was causing a problem.

Last edited by Offroadme; 04-30-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 AM
JK Junkie

The only thing that jumps out at me is the front relocation bracket. I know people have had problems with wandering and bumpsteer if they didnt add a drop pitman arm too. I think you should switch out the bracket for an adj trackbar in the front. Thats my best guess anyway.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks For Your Reply. I Have Never Bothered Having Big Tyres Balanced So There Arent Any Weights To Come Off The Rims, I Dont Get Any Wheel Wobble Though. Thanks Anyway. Cheers
Old 04-30-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

tire balance is only a temporary fix.
make sure that your tires are aligned...dead straight, if they are off by any amount that will cause the play.
also, check the torque specs on trackbar.

i have doen all three of the above and only combined to they provide a solution to the wonder at freeway speeds.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default steering

remove the tracbar bracket, put in an adjustable in the front, check the steerind dampner, i had similar issues, went through the same proccess, alignment etc.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:51 PM
JK Junkie

Nick,

I didn't see where you mentioned what lift you had. If it did not come with adjustable arms(if it did, they are not adjusted correctly), then that is your problem, you're camber is out. All the things mentioned above will NOT fix it. Either you get adjustable control arms or you run it as it is. I have a 4" without adjustable arms and i have a littel wander, but it's bearable, no big deal.

FYI to those above....
1)A trackbar has no affect on wander, it locates/centers the axle under the JK.
2)A JK does NOT need an alignment after a lift. All you have to do is adjust the Drag links from pitman arm to the knuckle to straighten the steering wheel.
3)A missing wheel weight will NOT cause it to wander, that will cause vibrations.

Last edited by BLKRUBI; 04-30-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default jk

It will if the alignment is out, tow in tow out etc. just will amp the issue, the tracbar bracket will flex or wiggle if loose, put in adjustable will take out the extra play, and uncentered axle =s tracking issues(dog-leg), plus uneven roads might as well not have an alignment it'll walk back and fourth.

adjustable control arms would help correct camber and help, there could be multiple things or just one simple, that is why we start small to figure out the issue.

different jeeps similar symptom, different solutions. that is whey we have this forum.

Last edited by blkpearl; 04-30-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he has to much air in his tires. I have the 35in cooper stt's and run 27psi up frt and 25psi in rr. 50 psi in those tires would mak them real darty. Mine was darty and rough at 40psi when I got them installed. They're fine now.

Quick Reply: Flighty Steering After Lift