Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Floaty Steering After Track Bar Relo Install

Old 09-17-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floaty Steering After Track Bar Relo Install

A few weeks ago I installed Rough Country's 3.25" lift kit on my '12 Unlimited. It installed great and I love it. The only issue was it kicked my axle to the right about .25" so my right tire was farther out than my left. No problem, just need the track bar relocation bracket that rough country neglected to include in this kit. So I got that installed but now, my steering is extremely floaty. Like if I accelerate it tries to pull to the right and when I left off it goes back to the left. I also seem to be getting death wobble more, well, I never got it before but after the track bar bracket install I got it for the first time. I've got a new pitman arm ordered as that's what rough country told me I needed to do to fix the floaty steering and an alignment to fix the death wobble.

If I remove the bracket and put the trackbar in the stock location, I get neither floaty steering nor death wobble.

Is the pitman arm going to fix my issues or do I need to look at other options?

Just want a few second opinions. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foxbody
Do you have adjustable control arms? What is your caster currently set at?

A dropped pitman arm may help, high steer kit would also. But I'm going to bet it's your caster more than anything.
No to adjustable control arms and I'm not sure what my caster is set. How can I check that?
Old 09-17-2012, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

My opinion is to stay away from drop pitman period. Your axle being off 1/4" is nothing actually that means you only need to move 1/8". Go back to how you had it before. Your TB relo bracket has put you geometry out of parallel meaning your trackbar and drag link. Better off just getting an adjustable trackbar to correct that allignment, or just leave it alone

sent from surthriv mobile 1 command center
Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Additionally as mentioned before if you are going to put money in the control arms and trackbar is where I would start. U just switched from a similar set up to all teraflex front control arms and it is like a new jeep no sloppy steering and stopping is 100% better

sent from surthriv mobile 1 command center
Old 09-17-2012, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ya everything was fine steering wise before I put the bracket on. Gonna switch it back tonight.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Deathwobble......... is the trackbar installed properly? Torque specs and all?
Old 09-17-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black_JKU
Deathwobble......... is the trackbar installed properly? Torque specs and all?
Ya it was.

I took the bracket off and went back to stock. Steering is back to normal and no more wobble. Think I'll just keep it here and look into an adjustable trackbar in the future. Thanks everyone
Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an adjustable track bar plus the bracket even though they say you don't need the bracket with the adjustable bar. The manufacturers of the track bar and the lift kit both said whatever is working for you, do it. So if it works without the bracket go for it, a friend of mine runs a 3" lift without brackets or adjustable trackbar and he looked at me funny when I complained about my original steering issues. The caster is what you need to correct though, to get your steering tight. Adjustable lca's, geomtry correcting brackets or Cambolts will do it. You can spend all night reading on that topic. Have fun!

Quick Reply: Floaty Steering After Track Bar Relo Install