Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fog Lights

Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lights

Replaced bumper (on 2009 JK 4DR UNLTDXS); looking for new fogs; plan to splice into existing wire harness.

Can factory wire harness support 55W lights or will there be trouble? Stock fogs were 42W.

TKS.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Namor
Replaced bumper (on 2009 JK 4DR UNLTDXS); looking for new fogs; plan to splice into existing wire harness.

Can factory wire harness support 55W lights or will there be trouble? Stock fogs were 42W.

TKS.
55 watts is the max. They switched socket.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I do not know for sure since I have not done this...BUT I have read several answers on here about the same and all say...

the computer will sense the greater amp draw for the higher wattage and will not work. You can use the power feed as the relay cut-in signal for a separate relay circuit to turn the aftermarket fogs on/off with the factory switch.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

I read a lot of posts on this before I wired my Deltas (55w). It seemed like half of the people had not issues with the factory wiring and half had issues.

I just used the supplied wiring harness and used my stock fog lights switch to control the lights. I believe it was the white wire that runs to the foglights. If you splice that to where your switch goes for the new fogs, they will work with your factory switch.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
I read a lot of posts on this before I wired my Deltas (55w). It seemed like half of the people had not issues with the factory wiring and half had issues.

I just used the supplied wiring harness and used my stock fog lights switch to control the lights. I believe it was the white wire that runs to the foglights. If you splice that to where your switch goes for the new fogs, they will work with your factory switch.
Wire black to black and white to white?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I guess if you figured out where the blacks ground, then you could splice into them. I just drilled holes in that bar that runs across below the bumper and grounded them there.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Been running 55w procomps for awhile now. No probs. Wired off factory harness
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110504_190953.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	156878  

Quick Reply: Fog Lights