Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fourth Shock Busted -- What Gives???

Old 03-19-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fourth Shock Busted -- What Gives???

In a nutshell, while I had my 2" budget boost I had Pro Comp Shocks that came with the kit. My driver-rear shock busted (started clicking). I replaced that one with another Pro Comp. As the miles go by, clicking occurs again. Same side busted...

I decided to replace all four thinking that Pro Comp just did not produce the quality shocks needed for the JK. So I replaced all four with Bilstein. Sure enough, miles later, guess what happens? My driver-rear shock began clicking. So that's shock number three and a different manufacturer...

I lived with the clicking for a while until I decided to upgrade my budget boost to a 3" lift. I bought a set of four Teraflex VSS shocks. My lift netted me a solid 4" of lift. The shocks are made for 3" lifts. But whatever, they did fine for many miles. And now the clicking has come back. I haven't taken my rear shocks off yet to see which one is clicking (broken), but it is definitely coming from the rear of the JK.

PS: I haven't done any rock crawling for the longest time. Since my budget boost about 15,000 miles ago. My jeep has only been handling simple jeep roads that get me to isolate camping spots up north. For the majority, the JK is my DD on well-paved roads.

Question:

1) Do I need longer shocks to compensate the 4" netted lift? Was the fact that my Teraflex shocks made for 3" lifts a problem to begin with?

2) Regardless of the answer to my first question, could there be something wrong with the JK that is causing these shocks to fail? Like a problem with the axle mounting location or the frame's mounting location? Yes, my axles both front and rear are centered.

This is starting to get frustrating. Thanks for any .2 cents you can give me on this matter.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
In a nutshell, while I had my 2" budget boost I had Pro Comp Shocks that came with the kit. My driver-rear shock busted (started clicking). I replaced that one with another Pro Comp. As the miles go by, clicking occurs again. Same side busted...

I decided to replace all four thinking that Pro Comp just did not produce the quality shocks needed for the JK. So I replaced all four with Bilstein. Sure enough, miles later, guess what happens? My driver-rear shock began clicking. So that's shock number three and a different manufacturer...

I lived with the clicking for a while until I decided to upgrade my budget boost to a 3" lift. I bought a set of four Teraflex VSS shocks. My lift netted me a solid 4" of lift. The shocks are made for 3" lifts. But whatever, they did fine for many miles. And now the clicking has come back. I haven't taken my rear shocks off yet to see which one is clicking (broken), but it is definitely coming from the rear of the JK.

PS: I haven't done any rock crawling for the longest time. Since my budget boost about 15,000 miles ago. My jeep has only been handling simple jeep roads that get me to isolate camping spots up north. For the majority, the JK is my DD on well-paved roads.

Question:

1) Do I need longer shocks to compensate the 4" netted lift? Was the fact that my Teraflex shocks made for 3" lifts a problem to begin with?

2) Regardless of the answer to my first question, could there be something wrong with the JK that is causing these shocks to fail? Like a problem with the axle mounting location or the frame's mounting location? Yes, my axles both front and rear are centered.

This is starting to get frustrating. Thanks for any .2 cents you can give me on this matter.
Maybe you need and adjustable rear trackarm to get your rear end centered IDK?? Hopefully someone else will chime inn. I would think if your rear isn't centered you would have trouble with both shocks.I would check the factory shock mounts like you stated becouse something is weird for shure.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you inspect your shock housing for any wear from rubbing of any kind? I know because of my TB relo bracket, it comes awful close to my shock and I've wondered if it would touch if I'm fully flexed. Inspect that area for any possible contact. I would also check your shock mounts and see if there is anything unusual with them (bent or cracked).
Old 03-19-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Have any pics of your rear end lol. Maybe we can see something your missing.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the replies. I'll take a closer look tomorrow when there's daylight. I know my rear end is centered. I've done the measurements after using an adjustable trackbar bracket. But yeah... this is weird. I know.

I'll definitely take a closer looks to see if anything is contacting my shocks. I'll also check to see if my axle shock mounts are bent or unlike the other in any way.

Keep the replies coming, please.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

are you running bumpstops? I would think that if you were bottoming out without extended bumpstops you would blow a shock mount, rather than a shock, but who knows
Old 03-19-2011, 11:25 PM
JK Super Freak

A friend of mine got the Pro Comp lift and it rubbed on one of the rear shocks. They had to make a change to the lift so it would not hit. Luckily Pro Comp is in town.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Where is the shock failing ?? Does it break at the top , bottom ,pics would help.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Pictures!!!

Jeep Rear End

Driver-Rear

Driver-Rear

Driver-Rear

Driver-Rear

Driver-Rear

Driver-Rear

Passenger-Rear

Passenger-Rear

Passenger-Rear

Passenger-Rear

Last edited by RN M OVR; 03-20-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Question???

I netted about 4" of lift. After looking at the pictures myself, my rear coils are perched forward and my stock rear sway bar links are angled forward too. I know I need rear upper control arms because my driveshaft's angle is way too steep...

Could investing in rear upper control arms, in order to correct the angle of my rear driveshaft, have any effect on this "clicking" coming from what I believe to be one of my rear shocks?

Or would rear upper control arms have no play on this issue, considering this "clicking" and busted shock issue has happened with my 2" budget boost before this coil upgrade?

Quick Reply: Fourth Shock Busted -- What Gives???