Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fox removal question

Old 08-14-2015, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox removal question

I have searched for a trick to getting these off, but have really only found information on removal of stock shocks.

My issue is that when I turn the nut on top of the front shocks, the whole top half of shock turns. No surprise here, right? Now, with other shocks there is sometimes a flattened part of the bolt that one can get a wrench on, but not so with the Fox. At least as far as I can see. It feels like maybe there is an allen hole in the top, but I can't see it and can't tell for sure by feeling.

Anyway, does anyone know if there is indeed a way to hold the bolt while turning the nut? I'm concerned that my only option is going to be to use some vice grips or something (or cut it out like ppl do with stock) and I really don't want to damage them as they are nice shocks. I just want to run the XL's I got and maybe sell the Fox.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I was able to hold my shock body to tighten and loosen the nut
Old 08-14-2015, 07:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

not familiar with Fox shocks but some shocks have a place for an allen wrench on top of the stud. generally takes a cut down allen wrench as not much room. feel the top of the stud
Old 08-15-2015, 01:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jadmt
not familiar with Fox shocks but some shocks have a place for an allen wrench on top of the stud. generally takes a cut down allen wrench as not much room. feel the top of the stud
This or use vise grips to hold the shaft.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

ok cool. Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'll try the allen first to see if what felt like an allen hole was. If not, I'll do the vice grips. I had a feeling that's the way it would end up. Just wanted to check since they're still good shocks. Probably wrap old inner tube or something on it so the vice grips don't jack stuff up too much.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2015, 03:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I have used vice grips on two ome's and two 5100's, way up on the end of the shaft. Seems to be fairly hard metal, didn't notice any marks at all on either set. But yeah, looking back I probably should have used some inner tube or something on there.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

I just installed a set of fox evolution 2.0. There is no place for an allen wrench on top and I installed by holding the shock body. If you can't get a good grip on the body by hand consider using a strap wrench.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdavis2nd
I just installed a set of fox evolution 2.0. There is no place for an allen wrench on top and I installed by holding the shock body. If you can't get a good grip on the body by hand consider using a strap wrench.
Strap wrench is a good idea too, thanks! Now I just need to make the time to do it.

Quick Reply: Fox removal question