Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front bumper: AEV or LOD sig series mid?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV with 9.5ti

I have the AEV with 9.5ti - and love it!!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak

After seeing the AEV in person this past weekend, it's really nice. Looks good with the stock fenders and is really high quality. Go with the AEV!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Well, I've got 2 cents to throw in here. I've got the AEV and recently installed a Warn 9.5si into it. I'd had the bumper for about 6 months and had it installed by the guys who installed my lift, etc. so I wasn't really all to familiar with all that was entailed in getting the bumper off to install the winch.

Having done it now, I can absolutely tell you to get the AEV. The reason being is that IMO it's the best bumper out there looks wise. Now on to the important stuff.

I'm going to assume that like most people, you don't just up and leave work and go on a serious wheeling trip. You probably check out the calendar here or check the local section to see when other forum members are going, thus giving you at least several days/weeks notice. IF you plan ahead and give yourself an hour or two. You can convert your AEV bumper into a stubby in about that time. To install the winch I had to remove the shell (outside part with hoop). When I did, what I found was a pretty cool looking stubby bumper. That part of the bumper is where the winch gets mounted. So, with the AEV you could in fact have the best of both worlds. Now, under the pretty shell it's not quite as attractive as it is with the shell on, but it would absolutely perform as a good stubby bumper for a wheeling trip, complete with winch, etc.

I wish I had had the foresight to take some pictures when I had my shell off with just the winch installed there, but page 18 on the AEV front bumper installation PDF will give you a pretty good rendering (looks better in real life).
Old 02-24-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by highoctane
I'm a helicopter mechanic on CH-53E's by trade so tacking the task of a bumper and lift is def in my skill range, though I have read the AEV is more difficult than the rest to install. Thanks for the info about the Warn not being compatible. I really want a 9.5ti when I do get a winch. I'll have to think about this. Thanks for the info.
I have an 08 with the AEV bumper and Warn 9.5ti. I did not retain the crush cans (since not many other bumpers do I figured I would be ok) and all I needed to do was drill about 6 1/2" holes for a few of the bolts. Nothing too major. It is time sonduming, but nothing too hard. I had no wiring to modify, the 08 already had the notch in the frame so my 9.5ti fit without trimming, etc... I probably could have been done with the install in a fe whours, but I only had a cordless drill, do I could only drill one hole on each charge of the drill.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm gonna go with the AEV. Just need to find the best price shipped for one.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by highoctane
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm gonna go with the AEV. Just need to find the best price shipped for one.
When I was looking Northridge 4x4 ended up being the cheapest byt like $10 compared to anyone else. On top of that you get their service.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlejon
When I was looking Northridge 4x4 ended up being the cheapest byt like $10 compared to anyone else. On top of that you get their service.
I just checked and Northridge's free shipping is a bit misleading, as in it's not free, unless I read wrong. The free shipping was the whole reason I looked at them. AEV has the bumper for $1250 plus $117 shipping Fed Ex ground. Northridge is charging $1400 with free shipping. $34 difference. If you buy the bumper and skidplate Northridge is $10 more so I guess it don't matter where I get one. I'll prob get one straight from AEV.

Last edited by highoctane; 02-24-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just checked and Northridge's free shipping is a bit misleading, as in it's not free, unless I read wrong. The free shipping was the whole reason I looked at them. AEV has the bumper for $1250 plus $117 shipping Fed Ex ground. Northridge is charging $1400 with free shipping. $34 difference. If you buy the bumper and skidplate Northridge is $10 more so I guess it don't matter where I get one. I'll prob get one straight from AEV.

Its not misleading at all as I have come out and told people many times that we can not offer "free" shipping on everything on the site as some of the items are way to big and heavy and dont have the profit margin to give the shipping away for free. So instead of sending shipping quotes to everybody all day long we have included shipping in some of the prices. So you know exactly what you are paying for that product to your door.

David
Old 02-25-2009, 08:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Yep, David told me that when I was looking for a bumper. I will still order my front bumper from him when I get the cash.

I don't believe AEV is a sponsor, Northridge is, so if the price is the same why not support a sponsor?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
Its not misleading at all as I have come out and told people many times that we can not offer "free" shipping on everything on the site as some of the items are way to big and heavy and dont have the profit margin to give the shipping away for free. So instead of sending shipping quotes to everybody all day long we have included shipping in some of the prices. So you know exactly what you are paying for that product to your door.

David
Right, the only way to have "Free Shipping" is if UPS decided to start giving it away. Free shipping always means "It is in the price". Northridge4x4 has done me right with bumper/skip/arb winch recovery package/pro-cal. I will always buy from them if they have my products and their price is on par with others. Spent over $1000 last week!

Quick Reply: Front bumper: AEV or LOD sig series mid?