Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front drive shaft sputtering grease... 2011 JK Auto OME HD lift 2"

Old 10-20-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front drive shaft sputtering grease... 2011 JK Auto OME HD lift 2"

hey yall!

I was checking my JK yesterday and I saw some grease coming from the front drive shaft in the transfer case side.

What are my options? im short of cash.. if I have to. I could spend the money on a new tom wood drive shaft for the front only.

But what could it be a temporary measure? a little specs on my jeep

2011 auto jk 3.8 2 door lifted with OME 2" HD coils ( i tow a lot across the USA) with a smittybilt front bumper and winch and rear Rockhard 4x4 full rear bumper (240lbs weight) the jeep sags in the back as you can see in the picture.. I put the lift at 12,000 miles and it now has 66,000 miles and its the first time the driveshaft failed(front) failed..
my plans are going 4" ome lift next year with coil spacers or a leveling kit. My questions are since i have never dealt with a driveshaft lol

Can I replace it with a tom wood or something U joint without having to add more mods? just bolt in? also i keep hearing about centering the transfer case .. and caster.. i do not understand that part. I would love to learn about that. .. also if i get something like a tom wood driveshaft would it be the same size if I lift it even more? or it has to be a new driveshaft again?

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep chally eclipse.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	580703Click image for larger version

Name:	jeeps 32.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	580704

thaks!!

Locko
Old 10-20-2014, 12:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Locko
hey yall!

I was checking my JK yesterday and I saw some grease coming from the front drive shaft in the transfer case side.

What are my options? im short of cash.. if I have to. I could spend the money on a new tom wood drive shaft for the front only.

But what could it be a temporary measure? a little specs on my jeep

2011 auto jk 3.8 2 door lifted with OME 2" HD coils ( i tow a lot across the USA) with a smittybilt front bumper and winch and rear Rockhard 4x4 full rear bumper (240lbs weight) the jeep sags in the back as you can see in the picture.. I put the lift at 12,000 miles and it now has 66,000 miles and its the first time the driveshaft failed(front) failed..
my plans are going 4" ome lift next year with coil spacers or a leveling kit. My questions are since i have never dealt with a driveshaft lol

Can I replace it with a tom wood or something U joint without having to add more mods? just bolt in? also i keep hearing about centering the transfer case .. and caster.. i do not understand that part. I would love to learn about that. .. also if i get something like a tom wood driveshaft would it be the same size if I lift it even more? or it has to be a new driveshaft again?

Attachment 580703Attachment 580704

thaks!!

Locko

Given your low lift height and that you don't have a crossover, I'd recommend either buying a used takeoff from someone who bought a new aftermarket shaft, or finding the parts to fix it. You can probably find a used front shaft for $100. Heck, if the guy who borrowed my nearly new stock shaft doesn't want to buy it, I have one available with about 5k miles on it.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Given your low lift height and that you don't have a crossover, I'd recommend either buying a used takeoff from someone who bought a new aftermarket shaft, or finding the parts to fix it. You can probably find a used front shaft for $100. Heck, if the guy who borrowed my nearly new stock shaft doesn't want to buy it, I have one available with about 5k miles on it.
thanks!!
sweet !! yeah i guess ill stick to original.. until next year when i will go big or go home! lol.. Im just broke after buying the JKU's. :( JEEP... (just empty every pocket) lol
Old 10-20-2014, 12:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I read a post from another member where he has been running his stock shaft for over a year without a boot. He just greases it often and keeps it clean he said. A bit messy...probably...but has kept him from having to buy one immediately.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I read a post from another member where he has been running his stock shaft for over a year without a boot. He just greases it often and keeps it clean he said. A bit messy...probably...but has kept him from having to buy one immediately.
I wonder if it could be removed and leave the jeep 2wd for the meantime... also has anybody done it? how hard was it with basic tools.. no power tools??
Old 10-20-2014, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if it could be removed and leave the jeep 2wd for the meantime... also has anybody done it? how hard was it with basic tools.. no power tools??
Yes, you can drive without the shaft. In fact, the jeep will drive better since the front axle doesn't have free spin hubs.

You need an 8mm socket for the t-case side and I think a 15 or 17mm socket for the axle side. Really easy. Although, the axle side can be a bear to loosen. I'd recommend an impact wrench or a large breaker bar.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Yes, you can drive without the shaft. In fact, the jeep will drive better since the front axle doesn't have free spin hubs. You need an 8mm socket for the t-case side and I think a 15 or 17mm socket for the axle side. Really easy. Although, the axle side can be a bear to loosen. I'd recommend an impact wrench or a large breaker bar.
for me the t-case side was a PITA! Could only turn the bolts a fraction of an inch, reposition, turn, reposition, turn, reposition, turn, reposition, turn, reposition, turn, reposition, turn, reposition....

The person who greased theirs likely was the slip joint and not the t-case rzeppa joint.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wrapped up my drive shaft install. I used a 9", 6", and a 3" extension on those 8mm bolts to get the rachet in front of the skid. Helped a lot. Mine was slinging grease, but did make it 45k mikes stock and 65k miles with a 4" lift.

sent from my work leash
Old 10-20-2014, 10:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

my plans are going 4" ome lift next year with coil spacers or a leveling kit.
You are moving to 4" coils + a spacer leveling kit on top? Don't waste your money on another stock driveshaft. If you don't need 4wd, just pull it off and drive without until you can afford an aftermarket shaft. You could always swap it back on for a weekend if you get the itch.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I've done it, twice. The first time was when my own OEM DS failed. I had a new Tom Woods arrived the day before leaving for a trip from OKC to San Diego. Decided rather than put a new part on the Jeep to just drive out to San Diego without it (no four wheeling that trip). No problems at all (other than the feeling of emasculation, LOL). The second time was just a few months ago. Was headed through TN to the Great Smoky Mountains and while visiting Shiloh noticed there were a lot of birds around. Well, it was, in fact, that Tom Woods driveshaft. Though I was diligent about greasing it, I did not know there is a hidden, recessed grease fitting on the transfer case side. It's necessary to pull the DS down to access and regrease it. I sent it back to Tom Woods and they installed new parts, free labor (over a year old, out of warranty). Cost me $70, and now I pull the DS down and hit that joint with a generous gob of grease. Regardless, I was camped in the Great Smoky Mountains and pulled the DS at my campsite with the handtools I carry. Again, finished my trip (to Atlanta and back to OKC) without the DS installed.

BTW: You can also pull the rear DS and drive around in 4WD (FWD). Haven't done it with my Jeep, but did with a friend's two door when his rear DS gave up the ghost.

As far as DS length after more lift: Contact Tom Woods and ask them. They want your measurements to make a proper length shaft, so they are the ones you need to answer that question.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 10-21-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Front drive shaft sputtering grease... 2011 JK Auto OME HD lift 2"