Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Drive Shafts bent. Is it worth it to upgrade?

Old 01-01-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vogeljk
Find a local reputable driveshaft builder and take your jeep to him. Tell him to build you a heavy duty driveline and install it. It will cost you around half the price of one you can buy online and you will not have to install it yourself. This is what i did and it cost me $275 to have one built and installed. You cannot beat that.

Good luck.
This is interesting. I need new DS's front and rear as my boots are torn and my 2.5" Coil lift causes contact up front. Wheeling causes contact with rocks and boots in the rear . I'm running stock tires now, hopefully some day will get 35s for wheeling only and keeping 32s for street.

That said, will a local shop be able to make something without boots that's thinner than stock?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adam, a local shop in Nassau rebuilt a driveshaft for someone I know. It was in the $200 price range but it still used the rzeppa joint that stinks. As far as I know it failed.

To the OP.. Remove shaft, lift it, then measure from flange to flange and have a custom 1310 built from reel, coast, or Tom woods...
Old 01-01-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam, I'll speak to Evan tomorrow. He deals with a guy here on LI who builds custom shafts for any application comparable to Tom Woods shafts. I'll get more info...I'm on the hunt for aftermarket shafts as well...
Old 01-01-2010, 07:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Adam, I'll speak to Evan tomorrow. He deals with a guy here on LI who builds custom shafts for any application comparable to Tom Woods shafts. I'll get more info...I'm on the hunt for aftermarket shafts as well...
PLEASE DO!

I picked up Joey's shafts from his stock setup. The front boot is torn, so that shaft is of little use. The rear was fine, EXCEPT, upon further inspection, I noticed that the boot at the CV end is torn! So I basically have two scraps of metal.

But get this: the rear shaft, with the center boot in tact, I can flex the shaft in and out easily. The front shaft with the typically torn boot, I cannot move that shaft in/out at all, even with banging it on the floor and after spraying penetraing oil on it! So I guess this is why shafts cause the T-case to fail... because they get rusty and clogged and don't flex? I've been cleaning and spraying whilte litium grease on my DS's, which both no longer have boots. But after looking at these, I see that I really need to replace my DS's SOON!!!

So, I'm looking for something modestly strong. I run stock 32's and hopefully will get 35's but just for trails. I'm going to run 32's for DD'er use. I drive my JK over 20k/year so I want to keep the small tires for that.

Please call or PM or email me with Evan's prices on the DS's. I recall a local shop that gives ateam members 10 or 15% off as well. I'm registered there too if that helps.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thrillrod
Found out my front drive shaft is bent. New from dealership is 239.00. Is it worth it to get an aftermarket? What are the advantages?

What do you all suggest?
I like the Woods shafts but man they aren't cheap.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamisadam

.... I run stock 32's and hopefully will get 35's but just for trails. I'm going to run 32's for DD'er use. I drive my JK over 20k/year so I want to keep the small tires for that.
i honestly don't see this happening. I tried it and just could stand having to change my tires all the time, and the powder coat started flaking on my wheels. just get the 35's and use them!
Old 01-02-2010, 01:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

With 4" lift it would be highly recommend to upgrade. And I think if you have an auto trans you need to upgrade it.

Quick Reply: Front Drive Shafts bent. Is it worth it to upgrade?