Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front locker stuck

Old 10-14-2007, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front locker stuck

Went wheeling yesterday used my locker mod for the first time i cant get the front unlocked i had to drive home 60 miles locked up front in 2wh. I think i tried everything to get it unlocked . Should i remove the wiring before i take it to the dealer ? I also have had a gear change so this should be interesting.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Default this was on a rubi?

When you pushed your "override" button where you moving? if so how fast. Do you remember if the lock light came on right away?

I have heard of a few people that added Dana 44 up front that just put 12 volts over the locker wires (which locks it) having problems. I want to do the mod to my rubi but from what I heard the stock rubicon button wait's for a certain condition (not sure what that is? some kinda sync?) then it locks. Since I don't feel like taking mine apart from somebody else I spoke to a pin or something is getting bent.

Last edited by red5; 10-14-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just went out and tried it again hoping than it disengage itself last night no luck.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

If you do a search there should be a thread about this. It has happened to quite a few of us. Go to dealer and get a new locker.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When asked where you used your locker, don't forget to say:

"On an unpaved county road that became muddy from rain."

Because if you say "off road", they will not cover it because your warranty doesn't cover off road use of the world's finest production off road vehicle.

If you say "on road", they will not cover it because using your lockers on pavenment violates your warranty.

A lot of dealers don't ask and don't care, but for those that do, the above is an answer they will not expect and can do nothing about.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Definitely remove the "locker mod" wiring, and hopefully you have a mod friendly dealer somewhere close. A lot of them may not cover it after a gear swap, even if it is in fact a factory defect.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:27 AM
JK Freak

They must PROVE the gears caused the failure of the locker. The gears shouldn't have caused the problem and haven't for any of use. The locker mod should have caused this problem either. It has to do with the locker and carrier machining. One of them has just a little to much tollerance in the machining process and the wear on each other a groove in the locker that prevent the plunger type mech from dissengaging.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLKRuby
They must PROVE the gears caused the failure of the locker. The gears shouldn't have caused the problem and haven't for any of use. The locker mod should have caused this problem either. It has to do with the locker and carrier machining. One of them has just a little to much tollerance in the machining process and the wear on each other a groove in the locker that prevent the plunger type mech from dissengaging.
The problem with that is, when they say "go to hell we're not touching it", what are you going to do? DC doesn't give a damn and lawyers are expensive.

Do you think people pay 2x more for Mercedes and Jaguars than normal cars because they are twice as good? It's the service.

We bought Jeeps, we're stuck with a POS company like DC that doesn't give a crap about us and a bunch of dealers that know that and act accordingly.

The only thing you can do is find a dealer that goes above and beyond. In the mean time, lie, cheat and do whatever else it takes for these losers to honor their warranty.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Default nice...

Originally Posted by Mike JK

Do you think people pay 2x more for Mercedes and Jaguars than normal cars because they are twice as good? It's the service.

ever watch Top Gear? Mercedes is shit, they are beyond crap at any cost...

Clarkson picked up a $150,000 mercedes to test it and "In true mercedes fasion; 1 head light was out, and the driver's seat didn't move front / back"

and there customer service is simply umm 'bad'...

I just have to laugh when I see mercedes now... what a waste of $$

Buy a lexus, then you get reliability for your $

google top gear; its an awsome show!

on thread related news... why modify your lockers? I have a rubicon w/the stock locker limitations of 'back, then front, only in 4-low' i have yet to really need anything outside this...
Old 10-15-2007, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mike JK
The problem with that is, when they say "go to hell we're not touching it", what are you going to do? DC doesn't give a damn and lawyers are expensive.

We bought Jeeps, we're stuck with a POS company like DC that doesn't give a crap about us and a bunch of dealers that know that and act accordingly.

The only thing you can do is find a dealer that goes above and beyond. In the mean time, lie, cheat and do whatever else it takes for these losers to honor their warranty.
Hey the law is there and clear. If you don't want to push it then that is your problem.

Quick Reply: Front locker stuck