Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Pinion Seal

Old 05-20-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Pinion Seal

So a while back I replaced my factory D/S and now it is leaking Gear oil. I would guess this is my Pinion seal being bad. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a write up on changing out the seal.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrylb73
So a while back I replaced my factory D/S and now it is leaking Gear oil. I would guess this is my Pinion seal being bad. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a write up on changing out the seal.

Thanks
Bump. I would like to know too! I think mine my be leaking as well!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MallCrawl
Bump. I would like to know too! I think mine my be leaking as well!

Bump x2: Dealer just called and told me mine is leaking. Wants $299.00 to replace it!!!!! I will be doing mine at home. So, if a write up doesn't exists, I may be adding one soon. Can't be that hard, right?
Old 05-24-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well the other day while I was on patrol I went by and talked to the dealership mechanic and he told me it was easy to install. I asked if I needed a new pinion nut and he said no the old one is just fine. Which is nice since the nut from the dealership is like $13.00. He did recommend some lock tite and torquing it to a min of like 210ft/lbs and a max of like 250ft/lbs.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe the pinion nut is only torqued to 160.. if u installed your driveshaft and changed the yokes u can change the seal. all u need is to pry it out using a seal puller tool which most auto parts places should have like auto zone, etc. then use something large and the same diameter as the new seal's
hard area of the seal around the edge, and tap her into place. if u can't find anything big enough u can use a hammer, or deadblow working the seal in at 9,12,3,6 o'clock on the seal. u don't want to distort or damage it so be gentle.
and defiantly use loctite on the pinion threads before torquing.

Quick Reply: Front Pinion Seal