Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fusion 4x4 2.5 Ton Steering Upgrade

Old 04-11-2016, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fusion 4x4 2.5 Ton Steering Upgrade

So after a great weekend at Rausch and a series of unfortunate events, more detail to come in my build thread, I was in the market for a serious overhaul of parts.

I spent about a week messaging users on various forums, talking to my local club, speaking with vendors, and searching online for my steering options. My DL and TR were pretty bent and I knew I needed something really beefy to replace it. I'm running 4.5" of BS so clearance was a thought, but still wanted a large tube and some HD tie rod ends.

So after a lot of talk with the guys at Fusion 4x4 I made the decision to go with the 2.5 ton steering upgrade. They provide a discount to forum members, and when looking at the other options (RK, TF, Synergy, MC, ec) this steering kit really wasn't much more. In terms of "bang for my buck" I thought it was a great deal. The guys answered every possible question I had about setup, install, clearance and anything else I could think of within a day (usually couple hours) on the forum PMs. So now for the install...

The packaging was great. The TR and DL came in their individual boxes with all parts thoroughly packed and secured in foam.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_123054.jpg
Views:	1103
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	643399

Name:	20160402_123113.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	643401

Name:	20160402_123103.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	643400

Next removing the TR and DL. Not really a big deal, just remove 4 bolts and knock it out. The TR came out with a little convincing of a bfh. The DL on the other hand was a PITA, the end at the pitman arm was spinning with the wrench and the hex key hole was stripped. So time to take a grinder and cut that sob out.

Name:	20160408_153102.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	643405

Yea, my TR was straight at one point in its life...I think.

Name:	20160408_153057.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	643404

Next assembling the Fusion Steering Kit. This was actually really easy. Just follow the instructions, apply some anti-seize, and take your time. Also make sure on the DL you put the end in correctly on the knuckle side so the bend is out. Got it all assembles and the was thinking "this doesn't look right". But, just quickly flipped it around and problem solved. The ease of installing the TRE cartridges is actually really awesome. If I blow an end, I can install a new cartridge without effecting toe or my alignment. The hardest part of the install was finding a 2" 6pt socket to torque the ends to 120 ft/lbs in the forgings.

Name:	20160408_152839.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	643403

Name:	20160408_152835.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	643402

Comparing the old TR to the new TR. This thing is massive!!! 1.75" diameter solid 7075 aluminum for both the TR and DL. Honestly makes the rest of my axle look small.

Name:	20160408_163053.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	643407

Unfortunately didn't get any pics of the DL side by side, but I probably will this weekend when I torque down my suspension and do a little front end work.

Did a little flexing at a friends yard to look at clearance. Doesn't seem to be a problem. They designed the kit to work on everything from a stock JK to custom fully built axles and beyond.

Name:	20160408_172215.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	643408

Couldn't be happier with the level of service i received from them and would definitely recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade steering or anything else they might want on their jeep. Steering feels great, nice and tight and doesn't seem to be much play in the linkage. It is actually easier to adjust my DL and TR over the stock setup because of the LH and RH threading on the forged ends. Much better than the turnbuckle stock style.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent write-up! Took the words right out of my mouth. I installed the same setup a few weeks ago and couldn't agree more with how you stated it all: excellent packaging, easy to install, and a seriously beefy setup. I put it through its paces at Rausch a couple weeks ago and it got the job done!
Old 04-11-2016, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Damn that looks sweet can't wait to get mine!
Old 04-11-2016, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my today, have not had chance to check them out yet.

Work.. sucks.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Excellent write-up! Took the words right out of my mouth. I installed the same setup a few weeks ago and couldn't agree more with how you stated it all: excellent packaging, easy to install, and a seriously beefy setup. I put it through its paces at Rausch a couple weeks ago and it got the job done!
Originally Posted by Riflejk
Damn that looks sweet can't wait to get mine!
Originally Posted by Extremneon
Got my today, have not had chance to check them out yet.

Work.. sucks.
Thanks guys, can't wait to put it through the paces. Got some kinks to work out with my suspension (need to square up my axles). But my jeep drives great otherwise.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also sort of related... In addition to their awesome steering parts, they can hook you up with the best prices on anything else you need for your Jeep. All of my future purchases will be though them! So if there is something you need, send them an email for a quote... I'm positive no one out there can beat their prices.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Also sort of related... In addition to their awesome steering parts, they can hook you up with the best prices on anything else you need for your Jeep. All of my future purchases will be though them! So if there is something you need, send them an email for a quote... I'm positive no one out there can beat their prices.
Great company, awesome products, super fast shipping.

I will definitely look to them when time to upgrade the axles.

Next mod is driveshafts for when I can get around and get all the parts to do the coilover suspension, waiting on Rokmen Aluminum 7075 control arms with jj joints.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Man that looks like how Aircraft parts are packed!! Man you really beat the Sh*t out of the old one lol...... Eventually I'm going to do hydro steering setup but this is a really great write up
Old 04-13-2016, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJKURPat

Is it just my eyes or did you bend your driver side sway bar link?
Old 04-13-2016, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Nice writeup Pat! Looks like a beefy upgrade.

Quick Reply: Fusion 4x4 2.5 Ton Steering Upgrade