Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Garvin Expedition Rack

Old 04-10-2007, 01:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When u get a chance, could you measure the distance from the roof of the JK to the highest part of the rack. I'm curious if I can get my JK into the garage with that set up on.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeepCacher
When u get a chance, could you measure the distance from the roof of the JK to the highest part of the rack. I'm curious if I can get my JK into the garage with that set up on.
From highest point of Rack to ground(86 1/2")......
Old 04-10-2007, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

I guess my question would be what kind of rack you plan on using when it is warm out and you are running a soft top or when the top is off? I have a two door soft top and would like a beefy rack to use when going topless.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dizzle_65
I guess my question would be what kind of rack you plan on using when it is warm out and you are running a soft top or when the top is off? I have a two door soft top and would like a beefy rack to use when going topless.
Can't wear this Rack with a Soft Top....as for me, I'll probably be taking only the 2 front pieces out most of the time, but if I do want to remove all, I'll unscrew 4 Knobs & the Rack will be on the ground in minutes.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

The Tule rack looks great but I read in the owners manual not to mount any rack or cage to the roof because it (the hard top) is not a structural piece. It sounds like if you get too much wind resistance on that rack it may pull the whole hard top off. If you found a way around this I love to hear it because this is just what I wanted to do.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ranterbul
The Tule rack looks great but I read in the owners manual not to mount any rack or cage to the roof because it (the hard top) is not a structural piece. It sounds like if you get too much wind resistance on that rack it may pull the whole hard top off. If you found a way around this I love to hear it because this is just what I wanted to do.
Ok Ranterbul,..I'm 58 y/o, now when i read your post I tried to stay cool & calm but it didn't work [IMG][/IMG] On the serious side, no issue's yet & actually had some very serious wind/bad weather here in Pa. One thing you must have on is the Thule Wind Jammer in the front. I took it off one day and you should of seen my wifes face when she looked up and said, what is that up there. It was howling like a wolf, and I did feel some pressure of the wind hitting it.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ranterbul
I read that too-- I think it entirely depends on what you plan to use the rack for, and what terrain you're going to be going through.

I think the rack-on-hard-top setup would be fine for skis, bikes, light luggage... but you'd want something anchored to the frame to hold a canoe, kayak, cargo carrier, etc.

Personally, I'm waiting for a reasonably priced rack system for the JK Unlimited... the one I've researched (I can't remember if it requires drilling into the body or not) is $1500+; 06 Unlimited racks are <$500. Granted, it's a longer wheelbase, but I'm pretty sure in time there will be more selection & options.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:38 PM
JK Super Freak

It looks to me like the front side (non plate side) of the license plate holder is now metal. Maybe it attaches to the frame of the rack, and tilts with it. They really should put action shots of those racks in the ads.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check jkracks.com

They have a real nice " hatchback" rack for jk 4 door /2 door .

Last edited by wayoflifette; 06-08-2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: edited non sponsor link
Old 04-11-2007, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Ok Marine Corps, I'd hate to hear about going across 80 and losing your top. Looks good though.

Quick Reply: Garvin Expedition Rack