Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Garvin Industries Wilderness Roof rack - RUSTING!

Old 02-23-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garvin Industries Wilderness Roof rack - RUSTING!

Bought a $1000.00 roof rack, less than a year old...Anyone else have the same problems? Welds look questionable. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Been thinking about one of those. At least now I know which one to steer clear of.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default jk rack

my jk rack from jk racks still looks like i bought it from day one....mind you that i do clean it with a towell and some oil every few months. nope i do not support them in any way but! its a great rack!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:54 AM
JK Junkie

Have it sand or soda blasted and then have it sprayed in bedliner to save it before it gets too bad.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default That sucks

That sucks. These NH winters are part to blame I'm sure. But for that price they shouldn't be that bad.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

I have one as well... At first it was just the fact that if you put anything on it it would scratch and then rust... was fixing minor scratches with naval jelly and then rustoleum... But then it was the floor rails. I contacted Garvin and they sent me an entire replacement set. They also said to put some silicone sealer on the stoppers that go into the floor rails. I am going to pull it off and paint it with a better paint this summer. Hopefully with yearly maintenance it will work out ok.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rusted quick on my last TJ - less than 1 year.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Garvin's are well know for rusting. Other companies use powder coat and/or galvanizing, but Garvin doesn't -- just regular steel and paint.

js.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
Garvin's are well know for rusting. Other companies use powder coat and/or galvanizing, but Garvin doesn't -- just regular steel and paint.

js.
I just received a Garvin catalog / brochure today - and it says that the racks are powder coated, and it is done in-house. Before receiving the catalog, I asked them if I could order it raw - they said yes and gave me a price. Then I see that they say they are powder coated - Maybe they just started doing it????
Old 03-14-2008, 05:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blatod
I just received a Garvin catalog / brochure today - and it says that the racks are powder coated, and it is done in-house. Before receiving the catalog, I asked them if I could order it raw - they said yes and gave me a price. Then I see that they say they are powder coated - Maybe they just started doing it????
I'm surprised. It scratches easily and many sections, like corners and joints, are prone to rust. I wouldn't expect that with powder coat. Maybe they just use a real thin coat...

js.

Quick Reply: Garvin Industries Wilderness Roof rack - RUSTING!