Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gas Mileage - highway - avg 21mpg!

Old 08-30-2008, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't know if it's the gear...

Originally Posted by ursharak
Dont know if it is because of the gear I put into the machine, but recently put in a volant CAI, Borla cat back dual exhaust and a TBS. I am getting 21mpg on the highway with the softtop - Rubicon '08 Unlimited with 6 speed.

What is the best MPG you have heard of for highway ? (around town doesnt count for me, because I love to slam the gas and make believe i am in a sports car!)
Not sure how long you have had your JK before you did all the upgrades, but my experience is the same, but different... I recently took off my Volant CAI (got sick of the whistle), I do not have a cat-back exhaust or TBS. I took a road trip to Colorado a couple of weeks after taking off the Volant, and got 20.5 mpg on the highway with the softtop (real mpg, not computer), and am still close to 20 around town since...go figure...2 door Rubi, 6 spd.

Last edited by glwood6; 08-30-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

At 60 miles with lift, bumpers, 35" Toyo/Hutchinsons, winch installed I started at about 11.1 MPG in my 6 speed 2 door Rubicon trying to drive smoothly in the under 3K range. Power was terrible, I actually thought "can any motor be this bad?" No power anywhere and won't run clean inder 2-2.5K except in 3rd or below. Revving it did little for the output, but at least it cleaned up and ran smoothly.

At near 1000 miles with the Hypertec Max Energy/Premium Fuel it was delivering at or near 14MPG along the same route, but driven faster, and actually using 6th gear as an OD on flat/downhill stretches after up to speed. Low RPM performace was impressively better, although torque was still a bit lacking.

Today, at 1700+ miles it's up to 15.4MPG on the same route, part suburban with hills up to 55mph, part secondary route with quite a few hills at 65+mph and several places where I usually rev up to 3.5K picking up speed in 3rd or 4th gear. Torque output is much improved, and you can easily haul butt without revving it too hard.

I certainly hope continued improvement is to come, I've been amazed by the change in this little V6 as it's broken in.

15.4MPG and counting!!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Buy a VW deisel if you want gas mileage.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

Default 16 / 20 mpg

Originally Posted by VaMan
there are enough others on here that average 20 or better on the highway to back me up.
I agree, from a 2007 6 spd X with LT245/75R-16 Firestone Destination M/T E...

- 6th gear highway runs will get you in the low 20's mpg.
- Around town with a steady foot, 16 mpg.
- Around town with a heavy right foot --- 12 mpg.

Hand calculated. I suppose a more street friendly tire would increase the mpg but then again these things are bricks and one of the worst things for drag is air under the chassis... even a stock jeep is screwed on this point.

=Matt

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage - highway - avg 21mpg!