Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gear install problem

Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well then I guess you need to take it to a mechanic that knows what the hell he's doing. Nowhere and I mean Knowhere should it take 14 hours to change gear ratios.

Kinda speaks of inexpirience on the mechanics part.. or they are just a shady mechanic that wants to rip you off.... You'd almost be better off shipping your jeep to someone at that labor price !
Old 08-23-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry for hijacking this thread.
One shop told me it is so difficult they don't even do it. How many hours should i be looking at? I was considering buying an instructional video and trying it myself. I have experience setting worm gears in machines which is totally different but its enough to make me want to get myself into trouble.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tebo
Sorry for hijacking this thread.
One shop told me it is so difficult they don't even do it. How many hours should i be looking at? I was considering buying an instructional video and trying it myself. I have experience setting worm gears in machines which is totally different but its enough to make me want to get myself into trouble.
Are you sure it is wise to take a crash course in gear swapping?
Adding an intake or changing the oil is one thing but you need to run the gears and then have them inspected after 2 or 300 miles.
My .02 find someone who won't rip you off and have it done by someone who has done this many times before.
They are out there, had mine done (SAG 4.88's) front and rear for 1000.00 and that's a pretty decent price.

Quick Reply: Gear install problem