Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gear Ratio Upgrade

Old 04-24-2018, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Ratio Upgrade

2013 JKU automatic, 3.21 gear ratio. 315/75/r16 Duratracs, measured to 34.5".

Currently living on Long Island at sea level with few hills and mostly driving under 50mph, so the 315's with 3.21 really haven't been an issue. Will be moving out to San Diego within the year and want to upgrade before the trip out west.

I won't be doing any off-roading, but more-so on-road DD, and on the beach a few times a year in South Spit, Centerville and Kellogg.

According to the gear ratio chart, for 34" tires the 4.10 ratio is recommended, and 35" tires 4.10 or 4.56 is recommended for a good DD and changing elevations.

Any suggestions or recommendation for what I should go for from experience in that neck of the woods and for on-road / minor beach use? Recommendations on brands, too?

Also, 99% sure Dana 30 in front and Dana 44 in rear. Do I need additional hardware other than what come with the Ring and Pinion kits? Thanks!

Last edited by vonlupus624; 04-24-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The front D30 will need either a new open carrier ($80 or so) -or- a full case traction device that takes the place of the carrier. The Detroit Truetrac limited slip is a very good choice if you choose to go that route ($400ish). You will probably want a master install kit to go with the gears, not just the basic kit. And if you are having a shop do the work, price out the parts/labor/warranty through them before deciding to buy parts yourself.

For the ratio, spending that much to go to another 'stock' ratio seems like a waste. If 4.10's are what you decide on, do some searching to see what prices you can find for a set of take-off axles from a rubicon that came with them stock. If you get lucky, you might find a relatively cheap set, which gives the benefit of a front d44, selectable lockers, and slightly better shafts.

Also, you 'measured' your tires? Or you are regurgitating the propaganda from the mfg? I'll guess 33.5"

Quick Reply: Gear Ratio Upgrade