Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears and Warranty

Old 01-10-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Gears and Warranty

I know there are a ton of gear post (pros & cons) and I think I have read all of them. I have a 2011 JK Unlimited Sahara Automatic with a 2.5 suspension lift with 35" tires. I had all of my aftermarket work done through an aftermarket friendly dealership here in Houston. I paid a little bit more but everything is covered under my warranty with no worries of being flagged. One mod they didn't do and didn't want to do was to regear. Not that I want to be sneaky or anything however it would appear that if I were to regear I might get a little better milage (currently getting 12 to 13 mpg) and performance out of my jk. Does anyone have any advice as to not re-gearing for fear of voiding my warranty. Has this happened to anyone else? What has to happen to actually have the dealership look at my gears? Any advice of this subject would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Many of the dealerships won't re-gear to anything more than 4.10, since they can't flash the PCM to anything more than that. Truth be told, find a reputable shop and have it done. You will love the feel of the ride and increased response to the throttle. The warranty is only good for so much anyway. I am from Houston, and still live close by. I can name a few shops that are good if you want. PM me if you need some advice, or if you want to drive a JK that has been re-geared. I have a 6 speed on 35's with 5.13s. It was the best mod I have done by far. Good luck and ask a lot of questions before you let somebody go into your diffs. There are several good shops around, just do your homework.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver
Why not have them do the regear?
Yes, you'll probably pay more...but if they cover it with a warranty...that's probably worth it.
While I do appreciate you posting I think you might be missing the info I seek. I would have loved to have the dealership re-gear. I don't care if that means that they sub'ed out the work to another company that knows what they are doing and I pay more, which is basically what they do for most aftermarket mods. The joy in paying more through the dealerships is piece of mind knowing you are not going to be flagged and your warranty voided. For older jeeps that might not be so worrisome however for someone who just purchased their jeep and paid for an extended warranty it means alot. Keep in mind this was a aftermarket friendly dealership where I didn't even purchase my jeep. I simply worked through them to have most of the work done. The dealership where my jk was purchased was an anti-aftermarket dealer. I'm not a conspiracy type of person but after reading posts on here the last thing I want after purchasing a new JK and the extended warranty is to be flagged and the warranty voided. It happened once to me when I owned a Taco that I lifted. Went in for an oil change and the dealership went nuts that I had a 4" lift and refused to do anything with my truck. I didn't get flagged as the lift was done via the dealership where it was purchased but it can and does happen.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mvnolan
Many of the dealerships won't re-gear to anything more than 4.10, since they can't flash the PCM to anything more than that. Truth be told, find a reputable shop and have it done. You will love the feel of the ride and increased response to the throttle. The warranty is only good for so much anyway. I am from Houston, and still live close by. I can name a few shops that are good if you want. PM me if you need some advice, or if you want to drive a JK that has been re-geared. I have a 6 speed on 35's with 5.13s. It was the best mod I have done by far. Good luck and ask a lot of questions before you let somebody go into your diffs. There are several good shops around, just do your homework.
Thanks for help and the offer. If you are ever heading my way 290 (Cypress) give me a shout.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would rather have a driveline shop deal with my gears. A lift and tires.... Ok let the dealership do something that easy. And most gear installer Warranty there work.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

had a Sierra with a lift 35's and had it regeared and after blowing the tranny up that took out the rearend (blew the ring gear out the back cover doing burnouts at a bar...being stupid) my extended warranty covered the transmission and the rear-end but i had to pay for new gears...over 4k in charges and all I had to pay was a small deductible of like $100 and a new gear set...maybe I lucked out but I had the work done at a Ford dealer because the Chevy dealer did not want to touch it...the service advisor had to work his ass off to jump through all of their hoops and he even got me a rental car, a fully loaded Cherokee off the used lot, while they fixed my truck. I ended up buying him and the mechanic who called me daily to update me on their progress a $100 gift card each for their trouble!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Zmotor & JKUnlimited...thanks for the help! Zmotor I don't think your point of view is in anyway disrespectful or out in left field. The extended warranty really wasn't that expensive for a little piece of mind if I do have any issues, minor or major. If those issues arise I shouldn't have too much to worry about. Sorry I'm not mechanically inclined wish I was but I'm not. It took me three attempts before I put on my rear Expedition One bumper and tire carrier correctly and with certainty it was done correctly. Zmotor what a dealership or service department you had working for you...Great Story! Both of your post is exactly the info I need to help make my decision. I'm pretty sure I'm going to re-gear however doing the extra research never hurts. Now to find someone that does an awesome job re-gearing in Houston...Anyone? Bueller?? Recommendations???
Old 01-11-2012, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

As has been said before, regearing was the best mod I have done on my JK by far. I went from getting 14 mpg on the highway to about 25 or so. I did the gears myself with the help of a mechanic buddy who rebuilt bottom ends for a living. It honestly isn't that hard, you just have to have the tools.

As for my warranty, the dealership said I voided it by adding swaybar disconects. I took the jeep in when I got excessive wabble in the front in when I was hitting bumps. After a while I noticed that the Steering stabilizer was leaking fluid, so I knew it was broke. Drove the jeep to the dealership as it was still under warranty and had them look at it. The lead mechanic gave my jeep a good once over and then said that my swaybar disconnects (which were connected) caused the steering dampener to recieve much more stress than it would normally have and thus it failed. He claimed that my negligance caused the failure and therefore they wouldn't replace the part. Just to add insult to injury this dealership then proceeded to tell me that my extended warranty was completly void.

So I am with others who say that the extended warranties arent worth shit. It is almost impossible to find a dealership that isn't trying to screw you even if its only a 40 dollar part, like a stock steering stabilizer.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

. ^ amen to that! ^

Quick Reply: Gears and Warranty